Inspiration thread

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee

When things in your lives seem almost too much to handle, when 24
hours in a
day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of
coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in
front of
him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and
empty
mayonnaise jar and proceeded t o fill it with golf balls. He then
asked the
students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into
the jar.
He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas
between the
golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.
They
agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the
jar. Of
course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if
the jar
was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table
and
poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the
empty space
between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to
recognize
that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important
things--your family, your children, your health, your friends and
your
favorite passions--and if everything else was lost and only they
remained,
your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your
house and
your car.

The sand is everything else--the small stuff. "If you put the sand
into the
jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the
golf
balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy
on the
small stuff you will never have room for the things that are
important to
you.

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Play with
your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse
out to
dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the
house and
fix the disposal Take care of the golf balls first--the things that
really
matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee
represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,
there's
always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

Thank-you sooooooo much for that. I have been so down. It came at the right time. I live in WA st and with as much rain as we get and no one driving in the house do you know how many times I have sung that song and danced in the rain with my ten year old walking to the store? Oh thank-you so much. I sang it so loud . Awsome!

I will look for the CD . I moved. I took a class. Mind body and spirit class some professors were teaching about a year and a half ago. Now I do it without the CD now. I have to find it . My son loves it. And get that book it is good.

The Present

8cd587a9.gif

It will take just 37 seconds to read this and change your thinking.

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.

One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room ' s only window.

The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.

Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine this picturesque scene.

One warm afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by.

Although the other man could not hear the band - he could see it in his mind ' s eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days, weeks and months passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.

Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside. He strained to slowly turn to look out the window besides the bed.

It faced a blank wall.

The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.

The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, 'Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you.'

Epilogue:

There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.. Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled. If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can ' t buy.

'Today is a gift, that is why it is called The Present'

b0b16c09.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, that one really touches the heart doesn't it? :hi5:

Thanks Tyler for mentioning the Golden Box story. I hadn't read it and went back and found it. Birdbomb thanks for sharing it. I am taking the message to heart.

And to all of you who take the time to post and read posts here, thanks for your time!

For young and old.

Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday. Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body changes, she said there were many,occurring every day...like her breasts. They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first. The audience laughed so hard they cried. She is such a simple and honest woman, with so much wisdom in her words!

Maya Angelou said this:

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today,
life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."
"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things:
a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
"I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents,
you'll miss them when they're gone from your life."
"I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making a life."
"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. "
"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands;
you need to be able to throw something back."
"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart,
I usually make the right decision."
"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."
"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone.
People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."
"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel."

A daily meditation.In the infinity of life where I am, all is perfect, whole, and complete. Each one of us, myself included, experiences the richness and fullness of life in ways that are meaningful to us. I now look at the past with love and choose to learn from my old experiences. There is no right or worong, nor good or bad. The past is over and done. There is only the experience of the moment. I love myself for bringing myself through this past into this present moment. I share what and who I am, for I know we are all one in Spirit. All is well in my world. By: Louise L. Hay

I have to say that this is a very, very good thread and I have been very touched by it. Thank-you everybody.

Meet them here too

'I can only imagine'
As a mom of a severe handicapped boy seeing this really touches me.

Last edited by a moderator:
How awesome. That song is one of my favorite songs. This made me cry, not because I was sad, but because the joy on his face was so awesome. Thank you for posting this.

The video clips above are the ones I was referring to in another thread recently. I was moved by the strength and love of that father, both the personal bond with his son and the sharing of their challenges to teach others just how much we are capable of achieving.

:clap:

Writing away the blues...

I've always known that creative writing was my calling in life (now, I'm finally working on my Memoir "Hushing Yesterday - A Memoir Today". It's also an important outlet for me but that is the catharsis which follows the creative process: Thought I'd share one of my poems - perhaps others to follow...

One morning on a Bi-Polar high I wrote:

one morning's jumping java prayer

Coffe grains are staining my brain

Smoke out of my mouth floating upwards
Is graying the clouds

Fingers are dancing right out of my hand
Wearing out the carpet in my head

Love is looking like crazy for peace
Straining it's tired eyes

Where are the Angels?

Sitting on their wing
Taking a vacation from God?

L
Copyright 2007

I thought your poem was great!...

Made me think of images...I like that!
:rock:

Thanks Speber!

I write about the human condition and have always been told that imagery is one of my strong points. I'm glad that you got it. Always - Cinnabar

The Priority Jar

There's enough in the "Jar Lesson" that contains wisdom. You're story is not one I'll be likely to foget! Cinnabar

Laurie, please keep posting them!

I liked your poem, especially the line about Love.

Back
Top Bottom