Inspiration thread

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks, Lynn

I liked your poem, especially the line about Love.
Poetry is such a wonderful and succinct was of expressing yourself "and" teaching. I'll carry on! Always - Cinnabar

Last edited by a moderator:
Cinnabar,
You're a pretty good writer.:clap::banana::rock::agree:

Attitude

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact
Of attitude on life

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.
It is more important than the past,
Than education,
Than money,
Than circumstances,
Than failure,
Than success,
Than what other people think
Or say or do.

It is more important than appearance,
Giftedness or skill.
It will make or break an organization . . . . .
A school . . a home.

THE REMARKABLE THING IS WE HAVE A CHOICE
EVERYDAY REGARDING THE ATTITUDE WE WILL
EMBRACE FOR THAT DAY.

We cannot change our past . . . .
We cannot change the fact that people will
Act in a certain way.
We cannot change the inevitable.
The only thing we can do is play on the one
String we have.

And that is our attitude . . . .
I am convinced that life is 10%
What happens to me
And 90% how I react to it.
And so it is with you . . . .

BuckeyeFan

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact
Of attitude on life

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.
It is more important than the past,
Than education,
Than money,
Than circumstances,
Than failure,
Than success,
Than what other people think
Or say or do.

It is more important than appearance,
Giftedness or skill.
A school . . a home.

THE REMARKABLE THING IS WE HAVE A CHOICE
EVERYDAY REGARDING THE ATTITUDE WE WILL
EMBRACE FOR THAT DAY.

We cannot change our past . . . .
We cannot change the fact that people will
Act in a certain way.
We cannot change the inevitable.
The only thing we can do is play on the one
String we have.

And that is our attitude . . . .
I am convinced that life is 10%
What happens to me
And 90% how I react to it.
And so it is with you . . . .
Your work is worth celebrating and, in itself, celebrates the one very simple thing people have at their fingertips. The powerful and personal choice of choosing an attitude which could easily sheild oneself from it's lower self. Rather, many people feverishly point at the "at's" in all possible directions, never realizing they've surrounded themselves with too many selves. The pointing is pointless but, nevertheless, they graduate to feverishly clenching their fists at the world, now. You see, toxic thinking is an insidious thing. BuckeyeFan, the following struck me as being powerfully artistic. "The only thing we can do is play the one string we have" and then the final conclusion ".... And so it is with you" Thank you for your generousity of wonderful words and equaled spirit!

A personal aside about "Attitude". On the morning of my 18th birthday I realized I had better get rid of a certain attitude. Bitterness. I had much to be bitter about but I dedicided it was a crucial thing I needed to crack away at. Bitterness is like concrete. It fills you up, taking on a heavy and an unmovable form. It does not pass through you like anger. That promise I made to myself that morning was the best birthday present I could have ever given myself. I could have become a very different person, otherwise. Always - Cinnabar :rose:

Thanks Cinnabar, but I can not take credit for these words. I received this with no author listed over 15 years ago. I have had it posted in my office most of the time since and have probably read it a few hundred times to remind myself.

I do love you comments about it, just insert anonymous instead of me.

I agree that with the idea here and have experienced the ups and downs that follow attitude. Obviously, even a great attitude will not get you through everything, but it sure helps.

I do have a couple of originals I may post in the future.

I agree that with the idea here and have experienced the ups and downs that follow attitude. Obviously, even a great attitude will not get you through everything, but it sure helps.

I live by this too, however it is nice to see it in words, for those days when it is forgotten.

Embedded truth

One of the embedded truths that I really like is:

A school . . a home.

This is so true!

Inspiration!

Thanks Cinnabar, but I can not take credit for these words. I received this with no author listed over 15 years ago. I have had it posted in my office most of the time since and have probably read it a few hundred times to remind myself.

I do love you comments about it, just insert anonymous instead of me.

I do have a couple of originals I may post in the future.
No matter that you're not the author. It's a testament to your spirit! Post anything, any time at "The Creative Writing Page" under Member Groups. Always - Laurie

You Are Special

Did Anyone Ever Tell You,

Just How Special You Are

The Light that You Emit

Might even Light a Star

Did Anyone Ever Tell You

How Important You Make Others Feel

Somebody out here is Smiling

About Love that is so Real

Did Anyone Ever Tell You

Many Times, When They were Sad

Your E-mail made Them Smile a bit

In Fact It made Them Glad

For the Time You Spend Sending Things

And Sharing whatever You Find

There are No Words to Thank You

But Somebody, Thinks You're Fine

Did Anyone Ever Tell You

Just How Much They Love You

Well, My Dearest "Online " Friends

Today I am Telling You

-Author Unknown-

Being Positive Is Always Important!!!

"Being Positive"

We look at life as people with challenges and pain. But we need to look at as we are fortunate what we have or we can't help others. I was taught this by another man that was a hero in my life too. He was an adult in my boyscout troop and wasn't for him I would of quit a long time age . His name was Dan Carpenter he is one of the reason why accomplished eagle scout the highest rank a young can accomplish. The reason he is so amazing is cause when he was a child he had polio and almost died. So when he survived and got married and had children. He ended up helping our troop and showing me it doesn't matter what is wrong with you that you can do any thing and he proved! Everytime we did something he pushed me harder which was great because it proved yhat if you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything!
GOD BLESS HIM FOR PUSHING ME!!
David Hair:clap::ponder::e:

Glass of Water Theory

This short and amusing illustration of how to manage
stress really hit home for us. There's nothing like a
good story to help us get the point, so check out the
Glass of Water theory of stress management here:
SIMPLE SOLUTION:
A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an
audience, raised a glass of water and asked, "How
heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 ounces to 20 ounces.

The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't
matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If
I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I
hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right
arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an
ambulance.

"In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I
hold it, the heavier it becomes." He continued, "And
that's the way it is with stress management. If we
carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as
the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be
able to carry on.

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down
for a while and rest before holding it again. When
we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden.

"So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of
work down. Don't carry it home. You can pick it up
tomorrow. Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let
them down for a moment if you can.

"Relax; pick them up later after you've rested. Life
is short. Enjoy it!"

rosesgrow.gif
I enjoyed reading it's philosophical and inspiring take on managing stress.

The weight of holding onto that glass/stress for too long can also cause a state of numbness. It can become like an additional unfelt limb. A part of you you're not even aware of.

I like what was said: "Don't bring it home with you".
Let stress pass through you like anger can. Bitterness can't pass. It's cemented already.

I like the idea of putting that glass of water down at the end of the day. If you surround yourself with enough warmth, maybe the water will evaporate!
Cinnabar :beer:

David - You are as much as a blessing to us as Coach Hudson, Granny and David Carpenter were to you....You are blessed here. Add CWE to your list and you've got a multitude of people waiting, wanting to help you.

I'm so glad you're back...Love to You - Cinnabar

Well hello Dave. I am so glad that you are here. I have not been on much either. Trying to get organized from my trip. I hope you are doing better. I have been praying for you. And you are in my heart. Teresa

Daring to share first paragraph of my memoir....

Birth Song

I LIKE TO IMAGINE that the morning I was born my very first cry sounded and resounded around the room like the beginning of an aria. That my first swill of antispectic air was followed by a sound so beautiful that no one in my room nor the entire pediatric ward could ever niether deny nor forget that I was a miracle child born to sing majestically. I don't like to think that I announced myself to the world with a simple siren spit of a cry like all healty but common infants. I like to imagine that I captured people's hearts through melody. That my first cry sounded like a song. A large and dramatic one. Or maybe, like that of a tourch singer. Like Edith Piaf, perhaps. As it turned out I would never sing in French or carry a tune in English. I would sing my own song in life, sometimes discordantly, but always powerfully.

LFP
Copyright 2008

Dance in the Rain

Dance in the Rain

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80's arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

A nurse took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him. She saw him looking at his watch and decided, since she was not busy with another patient, she would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so she talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, she asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry.

The gentleman told her no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. The nurse inquired as to her health

He told her that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As they talked, the nurse asked if his wife would be upset if he was a bit late.

He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.

The nurse was surprised, and asked him, 'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?'

He smiled as he patted her hand and said,

'She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is.'

The nurse had to hold back tears as he left, She had goose bumps on her arm, and thought, 'That is the kind of love I want in my life.'

True love is neither physical, nor romantic.

True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

I hope you share this with someone you care about. I just did.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm,

But how to

dance in the rain..

danceinrain.jpg

But I still know who she is That's love. That's unforgettable...Thanks, Birdbomb. Cinnabar

Friendships,
I have a few I've had since I was a kid and we sorta grew up together our mothers where best friends.
But now there not friends but we still are she still worries about me and I call her about once a week.
I have others who I've known 5-7 yrs there over protective because my sz's.
They understand a little how I feel.
My DH he's the best though he's always there for me.
I've made friends in places when you thought know way she can't do it.
I'm considered to be a selfish person and only think of myself.
Belinda:pfft::noevil:

Yeah! We all have to learn to cut people a break..no matter how hard it seems at the time. In time, we'll all be a pro at it! Good thinking, David. And good teaching - Cinnabar

David - There is much faith and healing in this group. The strongest of all vitures I have is "Hope".

I'm not a church going person but believe in angles who guide and protect you.

A quick story about church...

I had a friend, once, with two little children. She packed them up in her car. They said "Mommy where are we going?"..."To church, she said" She drove a short distance and told her children go and get out of the car and play in the fast woods of the Red Wood Forest in Northern California. Nature can be someone's church. God created trees and carpenters greated pews.

David, I hope you're not offended how I choose to worship, through nature. It just makes sense for me.

I had a fried, a best friend who died of cancer a decade ago. She was only fifty three. She came to stay with me for a weekend. I was sure she would go into remission and I would have her for a long time. She died within a month. Looking back on that weekend. I realize it was a spiritual weekend. It rained, we went antiquing, we played Enya. At night we slept in connectedness. Their is something about people who are dying. There spirit has one foot on earth the other in heaven. I will never forget that weeked and what she illuminated. My friend Barbara....

Last edited:
Thoughts

"Just mere thoughts - Are as powerful a electric batteries - As good for one as sunlight is, or as bad one get into your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body. If you let it stay there after it is has got in you may never get over it as long as you live." Frances Hodgson Burnett

Burnett's quote gets me to thinking about two types of toxic thoughts and thier differences: Anger and Bitternes:

At times, here, I'm a "story teller". This is "one of my ways". So,...I have a personal story relating to these two modes of thought and how an early "realizing" saved my inner life and outer life.

On the morning of my 18th birthday, I came to a sudden understanding. It was a "mind gift" which has lasted me a life time. I don't know where it came from but I found myself thinking about "The difference between anger and bitterness and their resulting effects on a person". That birthday morning while, I should have been begining to celebrate myself I FELT BITTER. Even at that young age I had every right, many reasons to feel bitter.

I sat on the edge of my bed realizing I was growing up quickly and imagined what kind of adult I wanted to be in the world. That I had a choice as how to live and react.

I thought, but really it was as if someone, wiser than I, was thought processing...and this is how it went.

Bitterness is different than anger. Anger is realized but "passes" through you, depending on how long you choose to hold onto it. But it does pass through you, in time. Hopefully, in short time.

Bitterness is like "cement". I does not pass through you.. It accumulates and, eventually, takes on form, a hardened structure inside. In time it weighs your mind and body down. It's anger unreleased and takes on a life of it's own despite you. You can sense it and see it in a person if you're a "people watcher" like me.

Years later, while riding the subway I and noticed two women sitting next to each other, both of similar age. One was an average looking woman with smooth skin, relaxed face reading a book and occasionally smiling. The woman next to her was a stunningly beautiful woman but her face was hardened with deep lines, no doubt from endless squinting and pursing AT life (her expression was so horrific it could not have had anything to do with her "only" being a smoker and/or tanner). I noticed her scrutinizing her face in the wavering lighted window of the subway. Her expression "was" cemented except for sadly half alive eyes looking for traces of beauty, too early lost. Her body language...well, there was none. She was stiffened.

Who do you think inspired me? Who do you think I thought the more beautiful? Who do you think I gave credit to for noticing the "soul" differences between these two women? ... The girl who gave herself the "choice of perspective" on the morning of her eighteenth birthday.

Cinnabar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom