Lamictal - decreasing efficacy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Aubrey

New
Reaction score
I have been on Lamictal/Lamotrigene for about 3 years at a relatively high dose - 200 mg/3x daily. I used to have, not perfect, but more often than not, protection from grand mal seizures. Lately, this is not the case. I am under a HUGE amount of stress. But I have had 2 grand mal seizures in as many weeks, preceded by rolling partial seizures. Is it just because I am under a stress that is not really one I have previously experienced, at least in my mind? Or have others noticed that Lamictal, like some other AEDs, has a decreasing efficacy over time?

Either way it is hard to concentrate for a good 24 hours afterwards, which is something that I cannot really afford.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues Aubrey. I don't really have any answers for you but i've been taking Lamactil recently. I was fine for 4 months, felt brilliant! I was only on 200mg daily then suddenly, my seizures reappeared and I don't know why. I'm now on 300mg daily and although they aren't as frequent, I'm still having issues. When are you seeing your Neuro again?

I've been on Lamictal for 4 years, and haven't noticed any changes in efficacy. But each person is different -- it might be the stress in your life that's causing problems, or maybe there are other changes in your body -- metabolism? hormones? other medications? -- that are making the Lamictal less effective.

To be honest, it's the stress. I'm on 400mg of Lamictal which is excellent for me. I'm curious if you take brand name only. In spite of the expense, it is well worth it. It took me about 6 months to gradually bring the level up to 400mg, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom