Sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Why is it that after a seizure, I sleep like crap that night?

I figured because my muscles are so sore and my brain is so fried that my body would welcome the rest and sleep peacefully, but it feels like I havent slept at all. I am tired and cranky and honestly didnt want to go to work today because I am so tired.

I had a seizure sunday night/Monday morning, and another seizure last night around 9pm. Boitt TC

Rae,

Seizures are hard on the brain, hard on the body. Put those two together and it adds up to needing sleep and lots of it. If you stay home today please rest, and feel better.

Rae.. please stay home and rest today.. feel better soon.

I have the same problem with sleeping after seizures. I'll have a tc in the middle of the night, and then have a hard time sleeping the next night. Which makes me worried that I'll have another tc, and so on..

When all your brain cells are firing and all your muscles are twitching, it's a such a shock to the system. You may want to sleep, but your brain and body are pretty confused, so all the normal sleep cues are off.

I hope you feel better Rae. Do the doctors treating your mini-stroke have any ideas about treating your seizures?

I only have one doctor. My regular family doc. And all he said to do was take aspirin daily for a while and then that's it. He says that the likely hood of having another event is very low according to my MRI. Physiotherapist is really nice though. I gotta start lifting weights with my left arm, so I figured I would also work out the right.

I'm pretty much on my own.

No physical therapy? That stinks. Your healthcare system/availability stinks. You deserve better.

I have a physiotherapist, but not anyone special who can tell me about the mini stroke things,

Im so tired today. couldnt fall asleep until 2am, and then woke up at 5:30 and couldnt fall back asleep.

I'm so sorry, Rae. Your body needs more sleep than that to properly heal. I know you already know all the natural stuff that can help with sleep. Just be easy on yourself. Here's hoping that tonight is a better night.

Why is it that after a seizure, I sleep like crap that night?

I figured because my muscles are so sore and my brain is so fried that my body would welcome the rest and sleep peacefully, but it feels like I havent slept at all. I am tired and cranky and honestly didnt want to go to work today because I am so tired.

Perhaps it may be because you are having seizures during sleep, as well as the consequent exhaustion.

I have had a decades long battle with nightly insomnia, and it seems to me it was caused by seizures during sleep.

Klonapin, which I started taking for sleep, turns out to be also used for seizures.

At any rate, I have complex partials (EEG), simple partials (which is how complex partial and other seizures start, if I'm not mistaken), and I've recently developed myoclonic seizures. I think it was the complex partials that woke me up during the night.

I wish I could suggest something more potent than finding the right combination of AEDs. Getting your seizures under control might help your sleep.

Anyway, I got sleep eventually. It can happen for you, and I pray that it may.

Last edited:
I don't know why it is you don't sleep well after a seizure Rae but I can vouch that you're not the only one.

I had a few seizures earlier today & felt typically post-ictally awful. Just thinking was a challenge so I went to take a nap and it felt good to lie down but not a hope I could sleep. I finally gave up after 45 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom