Things may be looking up!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mlbandura

New
Reaction score
Well since my son was diagnosed with Epilepsy last year it has been a long hard road. I have been fortunate enough to have great support for the most part from family and friends and most of all my employer. They (Owners - small business) have been very understanding and compasionate with all that has been going on in my life.
I just found out two weeks ago that they will be closing the doors this Sunday, after 25 years in Business. I am the Manager of their store and could not feel more blessed than to have had them as my bosses. They were always so very understanding when it came to time off needed due to doctors visits, tests or just because he did not feel well. I was never told I was unreliable or that I was slacking. In fact it was the opposite. I was told how strong I am and what a great job I was doing being a working mom, escpecially with a child who ends up in the doctors and/or ER at least 3 times a month.
That being said, I have decided to go back to school to get my degree in Paralegal studies. Knowing I still needed to find a job (money doesn't grow on trees) part time while I am going back, I was getting very worried. I applied to a few places and actually talked to one person. Things seemed to go well until I spoke of my son. Needless to say I didn't get the job. I guess the thought of hiring someone who may have to leave early occasionlly, yet still being a very dependabe worker, was not something they were willing to consider. I started to get worried that I would not find a job with the flexability and understanding that I am used too. So, I picked up the phone and called the Epilepsy Foundations Annapolis Office. I spoke to a wonderfully sweet lady there whos name I can not remember. I explained the whole losing my job, son with epilepsy, nobodys wants to hire me, going back to school situation to her and inquired about any services that could assist me until I found a job. Yes I will get unemployment but with Car payments, insurance, rent, food, health insurance, it is not enough.
Once I was done explaining my sad pathetic life to her (I know other people have it a lot worse) she informed me that they were hiring and that it was an entry level job. I faxed my resume to HR (which she had already called to let them know I would be sending it) It includes benefits, sick leave, insurance... blah blah Oh yeah and the best part ----- It's the Epilepsy Foundation! Who better to understand when I have to call out because I am on the way to or from the ER!!! And they have tuition assistance.
I guess my whole point is... just when you think life is letting you down... look higher. I just feel so blessed right now. I think for the first time things are starting to fall into place finally.
Maybe this is a sign of good things to come. I know this post sounds random and pointless but I feel like just might not be the only one in this situation and I wanted to let them know that their is hope out there. Good things do come to those who wait. God Bless everyone!!!!

Whoo! So glad to hear it!

Wow, what an awesome turn of events. I'm glad things are going well for you! *highfive*

Such terrific news all around. You get a great job, and the Epilepsy Foundation gets a great employee!

Back
Top Bottom