Tips to keep your chin up

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aggy84

New
Reaction score
One of my personal big causes to a seizure is stress, or say if I have a seizure I'm constantly worrying about having another which in turn doesn't help matters... see where I'm going...

Sooo I decided to ask the lovely community here, your knowledge of how to live a life as seizure free as possible.... so how do you do it?!

Do you do something in particular to help? What do you recommend avoiding? Have you changed your diets? How do you stop it ruining your life? Have you changed jobs?

:brain:

I'm newly diagnosed this year in April with complex partial seizures, I'm 28 and I want a normal (as possible) life... but need a hand to know what I can do from my end to help things.

Any tips on how to keep your chin up?
xx

aggy you just have to live it,dont make promise of saying i be at ABor C cos that maybe seizure day you just do your best with the hand you dealt....i use be having 20 panic attacks a day walked around holding husbands bealt so i would feel real,i would feel it raising from pit of stomach going to my head thought i was seconds from death,i now know it was seizure related and i made it worse having panic attacks on top...once you become aware it gets little easier because they are common symptoms..
just incase they panic attacks for real and not seizour related get a bag and breath your breath in and out at normal breathing not shallow or deep do it for a min or so,then some relaxtion exercise..read all these posts and you see what you going through is not uncommon at all.. know your enermy find some of your triggers even then they creep up from time to time..if do not live your life to the best then it be rough ride

I give myself space to relax if I am feeling "edgy." I will go lie down for a while, close my eyes, practice relaxation breathing techniques, consciously relax every muscle in my body, that sort of thing.

I also find that having a messy house really stresses me out (I think I got this from my mom, LOL!). So when I am feeling that way, and feel like I'm too high on the stress meter, I will pick one room to clean, and then stay in that room and forget about the rest of the house. Then I will make myself relax in the clean room. XD

Relaxation goes a long way for me.

Keeping a dairy will help in seeing everything that effects you, and exceriseing daily. You have to take charge and not let E. run your life. There are days when this is easy to do and then days that you want to scream.

Oh goodness, I agree about the diary--and I am TERRIBLE about this one.

Keeping a dairy will help in seeing everything that effects you.
:agree:
I was getting myself really stressed back in August (was mainly to do with some casual work I had at the time but other stuff aswell) & ended up starting a stress diary on my computer (after something my neuropsych said to me). I am usually not into writing but I realised once I started writing stuff in my stress diary it all just came out & I usually felt a lot better.

Maybe I should try an online journal--I'm more likely to keep up with it if it's on the computer.

Maybe I should try an online journal--I'm more likely to keep up with it if it's on the computer.
My stress journal is just a word document I created on my computer where I type up whatever is stressing me out.

Try to figure out your triggers.

It took me 6 years for me to realize that low blood sugar was one of mine. Now I eat regularly and take snacks with me (like a little kid).

Stress and sleep are also triggers and seem to go hand and hand. I have been trying to learn different relaxation techniques and to not sweat the small things. Easier said than done if you're a worrier like me.

Lastly, don't take life to seriously... because then it stops being fun.

Even if its cr*p just wake up every morning and say this is the day, it doesnt matter what its the day for just say this is the day and i can get through it! :)

Naaa I just look at the dumb asses and think at least I'm special(needs) pmsl.

Ooh and Aggy84 just let go and party enjoy life like it is the last day.
Yeah take your med's but don't be a hermit n worry grab life and shake it around, positivity breeds positivity.

Unfortunately their will be some bastard trying to knock you down, but push him aside.

Experience new things set fun goals.
Skydiving
You know the things that let you know your alive.
do it, be it, enjoy it, no regrets

Back
Top Bottom