Unsupportive Parent

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yes Joey I once had a so called friend say I looked a fish on the floor.I ask other friends and they said I looked nothing like that.
Yes ppl do like to hurt sometime.
Families&friends alike.

Joey

Anytime that someone, including 'so-called' friends, makes fun of or harasses a person with any type of problem, that person is showing everyone that they are in no way a true friend.
The best thing to do with someone like this is to remove them from your life. This is the only way a person like this is ever going to stop harassing a person. They do the harassment thing because they have such low self esteem that they feel that they have to bring everybody down to their level or lower to feel good about themselves.
They are nothing more than a 'bully' who can't even face a person unless that person has some kind of condition that may be keeping them from being able to reach their full potential.
Many times people like this are narcissistic and only feel that people who meet their 'standards' are good enough for them to accept!:twocents:

ACsHuman:hugs:

Last edited:
It's tough when this person is someone related through marriage. I have a mother to my late-husband who told my husband that he should not date me. She didn't know me or any of my family. I came from a family loaded with college degrees when theirs had none. This boyfriend/husband was the first from their family to be graduating from college. I learned on a date with him what his mother said. He said it was because I was diabetic! He ignored his mother and we married. We could not of been more in love! I spent every second I had trying to get her to just like me! I never gained her love. It was after marriage and two kids that I lost him in a bad accident. She wanted nothing to do with me or our children. I remarried 4 years later. I married a man that my late-husband respected more than any other man, his uncle!!! I never expected to marry this man and somehow it happened! This means I am now married to her brother! This was twenty-eight years ago that I lost him and this woman has got worse each year since. She rarely talked to my kids with them growing up. They are now college graduates. It doesn't hurt them as much as it hurt me. I know it's her loss! Since being diabetic was reason she wanted nothing to do with me but when I was diagnosed with E, I was even more so a freak to her. Judge has said some filthy things to me. To this day I have never said a single negative word to her face. I did write to her one day letting her know how wrong she was for saying terrible things to me. She then told other relatives she never said anything bad to me! This has put stress between me and some other family members. I am thankful that I caught her in lies on paper. It makes it easier to know she is a fraud of a woman. I have learned how much calmer our lives are just staying away from a woman who put herself on a pedestal. If only I knew 30 years ago to keep her out of our lives, I would of been much happier. My husband has witnessed this from his sister and does not talk to her either.

Unaccepting People

lrjg,
I know exactly what you are saying!
The day of the funeral for my mother (IT) , who had been my worst tormentor for my entire life, I had a relative come up to me in the parking lot before the funeral and say this to me, because I had cut my mother from my life, 'How does it feel to know that you are partially responsible for your mother's death?'.
This is how uncaring people can be, even if they have no idea why(out of necessity) something has been done.:rolleyes:
This kind of person will never be capable of understanding something, because they don't want to accept the truth or even know what the truth is!:mad:

ACsHuman

Last edited:
Uggg! It tells a whole lot about that woman when she chose a funeral to attack you or....anyone! For the rest of my life I will wonder if God chose to take this respectful man , going far in life away is because he could never of been able to handle watching his mother be so abusive to me or his children. Laura

ACsHuman- That's horrible about what your relative said to you at your mother's funeral! You're right though in saying that they don't usually know the whole truth! Narcissists will spread rumors and try to ruin anyone who is stronger then them and that they can't control. As you know they have to be in control at all times, and cannot feel empathy. It is a mental disorder and they are toxic human beings. I understand you well, as I have a close family member who is a narcissist as well. The only way to deal with these people to to get them out of your life. They will not change, and they cannot change.

It sounds like you've got a great head on your shoulders and you learned how to deal with your mother. You did what you needed to do. Good for you! We must look after our own mental health and personal well being as no one else will.

I just don't tell them my true friends make no difference they just say go bed.The newer people I met since moved don't like it so they got dumped or mostly dumped me.I got 3true friends had for over 30years we seen each other through thick and thin ,no one I meet now could do that it to late

Back
Top Bottom