Weirdest place to have a seizure???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KarenB

New
Reaction score
OK, we all know there's nothing funny about a seizure, but what's the funniest or wierdest place you ever had one?

Tonight, our 8 y.o. -- who enjoys tunnels -- decided to tunnel through the bottom of the coffee table. This took some doing...it has a glass top, and then there's a shelf thing - made of a metal framework...so to climb through, he had to put his hands through the framework, pull his body through and so forth.

Well, of course, no sooner does he get completely under there, then he goes into a tonic seizure. And my husband and I are looking at each other trying to figure out what to do, because his arms were through the framework, and with him stiffening up, we couldn't really pull him out.

So...my next thought was to just let him stay in there, until the seizure was over. But...what if the tonic progressed to a clonic? With his arms in the framwork and his head resting on these metal bars, that wouldn't have been good.

So...after a couple seconds I remembered that the glass lifts up off the table, so husband lifted it up, while I scooped the little guy up (the way his arms were positioned, there was no problem coming straight up). Fortunately the seizure was over within about 20 seconds, and without any big mishaps.

Never a dull moment!

Poor little man! I guess with a glass top you must have been worried that he could have broken the glass but with the glass top you had a full view of what was going on!
I'm glad he made it through ok.

I don't have too many strange places that I have had seizures.
But if I had to choose it would be on church steps, behind a large plant at an indoor water park and sitting in a church pew at my husbands grandmother's funeral. Mine tend to be mainly on the kitchen or living room floor. Although once it happened in the chair at work when I was doing a receptionist shift. That was interesting.

Although once it happened in the chair at work when I was doing a receptionist shift. That was interesting.
I had something similar happen about 8 years ago at a place I was working at the time.
I was at work & was having auras on & off through the day. The auras were getting so strong that I was having trouble doing my work. I ended up going into my supervisors office to let her know I wasn't feeling well. She could see I didn't look well so asked me to sit on a chair near her desk while she rang my Mum. I don't remember much about what happened but my supervisor had filled me in.

My supervisor told me that while she was on the phone to my Mum I started to go into a tonic clonic. My supervisor ended up hanging up on my Mum so she could call an ambulance. She also called out to 2 other work collegues who helped her. From what I understand I had the TC seizure in the chair, they had gotten another chair to put my feet onwith the top part of my body on the other chair & they had to keep pushing the chairs in so I didn't fall of.

I guess after I had stopped the convulsing part of the seizure my coworker got me on the floor in the recovery position. When I came out of the seizure I was laying on the floor of my supervisors office with one of my coworkers work jackets under my head. The ambulance arrived not long after I came to. I felt terrible for drooling all over the coworker jacket but she said it was fine she could wash it lol.

After that incident my Mum told my supervisor that if I ever came in again not feeling well to get me to lay on the ground in an area where there was plenty of room in case I had another TC. My supervisor sent through a memo to other coworkers with what my Mum told her. That was the only time I had a TC at work but did have complex partials while working at that place.

Last edited:
I would have to say weirdest would be on my bike and had a t/c in the middle of one of the busiest streets in phx.irony I had exact table u described til about 2months ago

Mine would probly be a funeral,you know when its all quite,everyone is waiting for the proscedings to happen.Wham,a bloody tonic in front off about 300 people,woke up with everyone coming out off the church,aah you gotta laugh!

Well I've only had two (well technically three ). My first one was during a college class lecture with 500 of my class mates (about half my graduating class), and the guest speaker apparently got quiet and said "is someone going to help her? " I was sitting way in the back too. I guess I also screamed....Yea... so many people asked if I was okay after that. My last one was while I was deployed as most of you know. I'm sure the person who found me on the floor with blood all over the ground was mildly freaked out seeing that we were in Afghanistan (I had hit my forehead on either the desk or the flagpole near my desk). And I had been telling him I wasn't feeling well when I was having issues with coherent sentences while talking to him earlier. Of course I woke up from both of those exciting experiences on an ambulance.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Reading through these I think being at work tends to be a bad thing for seizures! Lol. Not that I could give it up. I'm going crazy sitting around without a real position these past few months!

I've also had a seizure at a funeral (well actually the wake), but apparently my last one caused a right furore.

It was outside a nightclub two weeks ago and my friend told me that out of everyone there i was apparently acting the most normal and i can't remember any of it!

There was a man claiming to be a first aider who was yanking on my ear lobe (i actually have a slight memory of this), a group of two guys demanding to know what drugs i'd taken even though they were nothing to do with me and a largish crowd of bystanding punks (punk weekend in my home town, yay) generally adding their opinion and brightening the place up with pretty colours.

Glad i can't remember most of it, i hate being the centre of attention lol.

Oh and let me add funerals to the list of places that are bad places for seizures! I'm not going to lie, that seems like it would be terribly awkward!

Wow! Interesting that several had a seizure at funeral. CQ - glad you have such an understanding supervisor. And Loopy Lou -- I just had to laugh at the thought of the nightclub scene.

Normally, Jon has his seizures in bed, so not so much drama. In fact, the only place he's ever had a seizure in public was in a department store once. It was just a mild tonic -- just a few seconds, but even those knock him for a loop. We had made a quick stop at the store on way to therapist for his PT eval, and by time we got to the therapist, he was falling asleep. A little hard doing a physical therapy evaluation when the little guy is out cold on the floor.

Glad your son is ok!

I don't remember the seizure I had in the shower I just remember coming too naked in the ER. And it was coldddddddddddddddddddddd!

When I was a child we went to church meetings and they would sing and pray loudly. Noise, crowds and music cause me seizures and I've often wondered if they mistook one of my seizures as a spiritual/slain in the spirit event. I'd come to later laid out on the floor and people would say congrats the lord touched you! :ponder:

Not bashing those types of events just something I've wondered about.

lol, once a lady told me after one of my seizures I had satan in me. :evil2:

Last edited:
CQ - glad you have such an understanding supervisor.
Thanks Karen,
I'm not working at that place now but the supervisor I had there was really nice :). When I had the tonic clonic she rang my parents back to let them know she got an ambulance. When the ambulance arrived my supervisor came in the ambulance with me. I think when we got to the hospital my parents arrived not long after so my supervisor spoke to them then went back to work. When I got to the hospital I was a little more alert & all I was worried about was that I had things that had to be done at work lol. My supervisor kept telling me it was fine, I didn't have to worry abut the work :).

Wow! Interesting that several had a seizure at funeral.
I've never had a seizure at a funeral but when my Dads stepfather died I had a complex partial seizure the day after the funeral. It was early in the morning, only my Mum & I were awake (my parents & I were staying with my cousin) so my Mum witnessed me have the seizure. We drove home the day I had the seizure & I felt crap the whole trip home.

Last edited:
Oh dear, this one made me think of some doozies! No funerals thankfully! I have had one in bathroom stall at work, that was awful! At a different company I punch a manager in the face during the post ictal state. On an escalator which started to chew up my hair and I had to be cut out of.
But I have to say the best/worst/weirdest was when I went to visit my papa in the hospital, I went to the cafeteria had a T/C woke up to Papa in a wheelchair next to my bed in the ER

Oh and let me add funerals to the list of places that are bad places for seizures! I'm not going to lie, that seems like it would be terribly awkward!

Hmmm they aint to bad RunningGirl,dont really remember anything and slept in the back off a car during the wake! But truthfully i do sigh with relief at every funeral i now make it through.

lol, once a lady told me after one of my seizures I had satan in me. :evil2:[/QUOTE]

Eli

I had to respond to this because my best friend has a very religious sister and this sister approached my husband and said that I have seizures because someone in my family must have sinned and that I am being punished. She said that somebody in my family probably had a gambling problem or had been a freemason. My husband was in shock and just listened to her with his jaw open and my best friend wouldn't tell me what she said but simply cried.
I didn't find out until later but my reaction was to laugh because it was too late to defend myself and man, is that ever a twisted way to view things. I felt sorry for her. Plus she has been electrocuted in the past accidently so she has different viewpoint to life.

People are very interesting.

Eli

I had to respond to this because my best friend has a very religious sister and this sister approached my husband and said that I have seizures because someone in my family must have sinned and that I am being punished. She said that somebody in my family probably had a gambling problem or had been a freemason. My husband was in shock and just listened to her with his jaw open and my best friend wouldn't tell me what she said but simply cried.
I didn't find out until later but my reaction was to laugh because it was too late to defend myself and man, is that ever a twisted way to view things. I felt sorry for her. Plus she has been electrocuted in the past accidently so she has different viewpoint to life.

People are very interesting.

:) LJ - interesting indeed!
I've been told twice recently, by two different people, that Jesus heals and that I should reach out to him.

Me too eli been told if i take the lord as my savior my E will go.away believe there is one and im upset best we.not talk at this time.will never step.foot in another church not crap on someones religion just dont believe wa bible.and others say about epilepsy.

Me too eli been told if i take the lord as my savior my E will go.away believe there is one and im upset best we.not talk at this time.will never step.foot in another church not crap on someones religion just dont believe wa bible.and others say about epilepsy.

It makes me appreciate the cwe community even more. I can't imagine living or having E in prior generations. I would've been burned at the stake for sure. Educating my own family has been hard enough.

I have copies of all of my medical records. I don't drink or drug but in half of my ER medical records I've noticed drs intake notes - patient prob drug addict or alcoholic - ordering tox's. I only had one dr note the clean tox's and he said...she's clean, I'm shocked! :rolleyes:

They did a drug screen on me when i was in the hospital a couple weeks ago (same event as the one with the punks). Normally i'd come out of it enough to refuse to go to hospital but this time i didn't really have much choice in the matter.

As soon as the blood tests came back the doc very abruptly said i could go and then wandered off.

Perhaps they were actually disappointed that i'm not a drug taking sort of person? I dunno lol.

Back
Top Bottom