Your memory is bad when....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I forget what I was going to say I forget... :)

When people say "Hi, Patty" I just say, "Hi There!" back because I've forgotten way too many names including people I've known for a LONG time.

The summer is not a bummer television wise for me because repeat or not, everything is pretty new again.

I have to-do and reminder lists EVERYWHERE and then forget to use them or forget where they are.

I've found my glasses in the freezer after hours of looking for them.

I've bought new things to replace the things I've lost only to then find the lost things right after I've bought the new things.

Surrounding a seizure is always interesting, I will find bruises and think - oh, I guess I fell? I guess it was on my back (or leg, or whatever...). (I am today 6 months and 15 days seizure free... :D But my memory still sucks!)

Oh, I could go on! :)

When you can't remember your mum's face, husband's or kids faces and forget which house your friend has been living in for the last 3 years.

The only time I flip out is when the VNS magnet disappears, usually I know something has already gone wrong then it is a matter of retracing steps. It takes me awhile to go through and locate it but usually it is fairly an easy discovery as it is close by.

one of the most upsetting for me was almsot a year ago when i picked up my cel to call my mom (sometimes just dial if i'm in a real hurry cuz it takes a while to find her in the list), only to get three numbers in and totally forget it. memory of an elephant my whole life.
it was that moment i knew where this lesion was taking me, and tho i sat and cried i atleast stopped the tears knowing this damn thing was being taken out.
sucked tho, i really needed to talk to her and just sat there staring at my phone :(

not long after that similar things started happening. one day i couldn't spell the word 'roof.' :(
but ah well, would rather have half my hippo taken out then leave in a damaged one :tup:

The summer is not a bummer television wise for me because repeat or not, everything is pretty new again.

This made me laugh because I tell everyone the same thing! My husband and I will watch repeats sometimes in the summer, most of them crime shows. I'll get so mad when he says "Oh, this is the one where the killer is whoever and that's why he was killed"

The only time I flip out is when the VNS magnet disappears, usually I know something has already gone wrong then it is a matter of retracing steps. It takes me awhile to go through and locate it but usually it is fairly an easy discovery as it is close by.

I lost mine this morning and was looking all over the house for it. They need to put something on it like the do for phones. When you can't find it you push a button and it beeps!

Did find it though after looking for about half an hour. It was in my bed all tangled up in the sheets.

I have done everything on this thread except forget my underwear. If I set something on the table in plain site. It does not matter. In a few minutes I have no understanding of where "my keys are". Or I forget to put my make-up on. Mostly earrings though. One or nothing. And I don't even notice it until some little girl at starbucks says "How come you only have one earring on? What is next? Well everybody be careful when you cook. Love you all again. Teresa Ann

I make a grocery list so I don't forget anything. Get to the store and realize I don't have the list. Grocery shop anyway. Get keys out of pocket to unlock car and find grocery list in my pocket.

Sometimes grocery shop, have them ring up groceries only to realize I don't have my debit card.

Lethologica: the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

:ponder: bingo!

I make a grocery list so I don't forget anything. Get to the store and realize I don't have the list. Grocery shop anyway. Get keys out of pocket to unlock car and find grocery list in my pocket.

I've done this so many times I've lost count!

I also use coupons a lot. When I get to the register I can't find them to use them. I figured I put them down on a counter while shopping and lost them. Then I find them in a pocket when I get home.

I forget words in the middle of a sentence so I stare blankly at whoever I'm talking to until they try and finish the sentence for me lol! I also constantly have the feeling that I'm forgetting something (probably because I usually am!). It was hard at first because I used to have such a good memory but I have learned now to just embrace it. I'm just glad that I don't forget everything I've studied for exams

I mostly drink cold coffee, sometime two cups. And I am saving on movies because it is like watching for the first time. I have to laugh or I'll cry.

I'm an apartment manager and anytime I tell our maintenance man an apartment that needs maintenance he wants to know the name of the resident also. He knows how bad I mix up numbers and he wants to make sure I'm not sending him into the wrong apartment. Thank God I haven't yet but it's only because he is on the ball and knows me and our residents so well. He retires the end of July so I am a bit concerned.

I forget words in the middle of a sentence so I stare blankly at whoever I'm talking to until they try and finish the sentence for me lol!

I do this all the time. I love it when I call a help support line for something, like the phone or cable tv, then can't remember what the word is for the thing that I called for.

I've called for the cable tv and they asked where the box was that I was having trouble with. I could not think of the word bedroom. So after a few seconds of me saying things like - "It's in the room that we sleep in", "It has the thing with the sheets in it", and "It's in the room that has the dressers and it's on top of one of them." - and him guessing trying to guess, then finally got it. The guy that I was talking to must have thought I was a real goof!

I mostly drink cold coffee, sometime two cups. And I am saving on movies because it is like watching for the first time. I have to laugh or I'll cry.

it is when you relate to the movie memento,
or you get angry during the movie 50 first dates, because you find it offensive.

I do this all the time. I love it when I call a help support line for something, like the phone or cable tv, then can't remember what the word is for the thing that I called for.

I've called for the cable tv and they asked where the box was that I was having trouble with. I could not think of the word bedroom. So after a few seconds of me saying things like - "It's in the room that we sleep in", "It has the thing with the sheets in it", and "It's in the room that has the dressers and it's on top of one of them." - and him guessing trying to guess, then finally got it. The guy that I was talking to must have thought I was a real goof!

I do the same. I also have major problems with numbers, even more so after long partial seizures. Makes it really bad because I have to record rents and give out keys to contractors and maintenance people for them to got into occupied apartments to work. Also make mistakes in preparing leases. I will usually prepare the lease a day or two in advance and review it several times. I also leave it saved on the computer in case the resident spots a mistake. I can change it and quickly print a new one. I have to read emails several times before I send them and I still find mistakes after they are sent.

My memory has never been good after a seizure. I've mentioned before where I put my laptop in the refrigerator and couldn't find it for a couple hours.

I lost mine this morning and was looking all over the house for it. They need to put something on it like the do for phones. When you can't find it you push a button and it beeps!

Did find it though after looking for about half an hour. It was in my bed all tangled up in the sheets.

Don't see that happening.. one of the reasons why they give you two. You happen to misplace the first, you have the second.

Something you can consider is having the magnet around your wrist if there is that large of a concern. That is one of the reasons why they had given the wrap so it can be placed around your wrist. By the way, a cow magnet (sold anywhere over the counter) also will work should ever you need two replacements as they are sold in a set of three and they are small. :twocents:

Back
Top Bottom