documentary

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelley

Veteran
Reaction score
I went to an Austin womens film meetup/mentoring session.
They tried to get me interested in doing a documentary about what I was passionate about. I was going to say music, and the unsung heroes of the Austin music scene.
But instead I said epilepsy. So, I managed to talk for two hours about epilepsy (about 10 minutes per mentor).
I had some people actually give me some useful info on all the stuff that needs to be done.
but I also had several people react as if they were creeped out. I even had one strange women follow me and offer her services as a 'therapist'. That pretty much threw me off my game, so to speak.

I went to there 'happy hour' tonight, just to see if I could learn something. Nope, I feel I was treated even worse.

I almost gave up, but then I decided that this is why I need to do this, to make a documentary.

So I need tons of info-websites, books, and anything else you can give me. I will need to keep a journal, organize my info Apparently I need to form an LLC as well as all the other junk that comes with this. so I am guessing that I will need to do more than one of these things to make the expenditure worth while.

I will need crew, actors (I'm afraid of someone kindling, then having a seizure.
Probably more of a worry wort than anything, but I don't want any of my friends hurt.)
I will also need tons of paper work, which probably means that I will need an actual staff.

Any body have any ideas?

Last edited:
Great idea, Shelley!

I'd tap into students. Undergrads for the acting, etc., graduate students for the paperwork. They love rounding out their resume. And they have tons of energy!

It sounds like you need a sponsor, too? Are there any local corporations that might help out with expenses?

but I also had several people react as if they were creeped out. I even had one strange women follow me and offer her services as a 'therapist'. That pretty much threw me off my game, so to speak.

I went to there 'happy hour' tonight, just to see if I could learn something. Nope, I feel I was treated even worse.

I almost gave up, but then I decided that this is why I need to do this, to make a documentary.

Shelley,

This goes to show how much more we all need to speak up about E! IMO, the so-called therapist needs therapy in how to deal with other people who have epilepsy.

Don't give up. We all need to do this. The public needs to learn something.

Isn't Speber in the Austin area? Can he help with music? Does he have connections? What about the Epilepsy Foundation in your area?

Hi Shelley, other filmmakers can often provide info on funding, and staffing for production and post-production, including folks who might be willing to donate their services or expertise. You've probably already checked this out, but here's one place to look for funding/support:

http://www.austinfilm.org/page.aspx?pid=303

The people I met with was called Reel Women. A play on words? I have met and collaborated with one of them on a music production project, and I also film bands. I was hoping for pointers, until I came up with this out of the blue. They said do something you are passionate about.
I can get a hold of Speber, and his sister (maybe) and see if they have any contacts.
Right now, I'm a bit stressed from the ninnies at work.

I am doing phase one: research
I will need to write a script soon (they suggested three years for the whole project).
I guess I will need to start looking for actors at the university soon.
Does anybody think that forming an LLC (their suggested) would be worth it?
As for providing funds, they may help, but I don't know.

Hi Shelley,
I don't know much about the film industry, but i do know a small bit about taxes. An LLC will make your project its own baby per say. A great place to find info about tax liabilities and LLCs would be would be the gov't web site, im sorry but i am drawing a huge blank right now at the web address.:paperbag: This type of thing happens all the time. Plus an LLC is more proffesional and would be taken more seriously. Tax wise it would be the LLC responsible for tax revenue and not yourself. ill post the site when i can think of it. oh wait... it is irs.gov and type LLC in the search bar and it will give you all types of info. Also this is a great way to help prevent identity theft, even with volunteer actors you will probably have to have a consent form showing your tax id number and without an LLC it would have to be your social in order for it to be valid. Hope this helps and good luck!

We have several members in the Austin area...you should talk with Crystal. She has an amazing story and she lives in Austin

Have contacted Crystal with positive results. Speber has family issues.
Am looking for other Austinites, and personal stories. Any script writers?
Please hold off on sending me stuff until I get my LLC.

Back
Top Bottom