EF: Get Seizure Smart

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
The Epilepsy Foundation is sponsoring a "Get Seizure Smart" program for November (National Epilepsy Awareness Month).

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/neam/

They have a quiz and other materials posted to help you educate co-workers, neighbors, schools, politicians, etc.

They have also posted an election guide:

http://efa.capwiz.com/election/home/

highlighting candidate positions on epilepy related issues.

GREAT IDEA!!!

Im totally posting this quiz on my facebook page!

Although, it only lets you enter american zip codes to take the quiz. so of course I entered 90210. its the only one I know!

I gave the quiz to friends in my book group yesterday. I also gave them a 2-page "Epilepsy Myths and Facts" handout, and told them to read it and pass it on...

What a great idea this program is!

I was mortified to find a brochure from my local epilepsy foundation recently. Apparently we all suffer tonic clonic seizures, we all fall to the ground when we seize, and people should step back from us. I found the whole brochure alarmist and just plain wrong - there was no mention of other forms of epilepsy, and it played into the stereotypes which I'm hearing from the few people I've told of my own condition (only diagnosed 5 weeks, and that was 3 days before I went overseas, so no opportunity to share with most of my friends yet).

I saw a t-shirt on this site recently, and this brochure made me want to go and buy one! I can't remember what it said exactly, but I really feel there's a need to educate the general public and burst these misconceptions about E. As my neuro said, "tell them you have epilepsy, you might as well have said leprosy"

Chel

Back
Top Bottom