Epilepsy Petition - I SIGNED ... Will you?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score

Click on the icons above!

Show Your Commitment. Sign the Petition!

The Epilepsy Foundation is leading the fight to increase funding for research and programs, stop discrimination and improve access to care.

In 2009, a new President, 535 members of Congress and nearly 10,000 state legislators will take office. By signing our petition, you can help us persuade them to support policies that improve the lives of the three million American families affected by epilepsy.

More than 3 million Americans have epilepsy (seizures) and 200,000 new cases are diagnosed yearly. For most, there is no cure and many with epilepsy face discrimination and difficulty accessing care.

I signed yesterday

Thank ya'll for this group. I mean it in TOTAL seriousness.

I just changed my background pic on my myspace profile so it has no flashes and bells and whistles to set anyone off.

I want to learn more and if I need to for the sake of others make other changes to that profile site.

I don't want to harm anyone, Lord knows I do enough unintentionally without putting up something that would definately, well, potentially harm someone.

I know I myself am not too keen on seizing so why make someone else.

Had a bad "aura" yesterday but did the fast preventative measures and went to sleep FAST to prevent its fullfillment - sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

I want to get some really good Epilepsy Awareness graphics to add to my site there to help others to understand.

I sit here all day on my donkey and thank GOD I'm no longer in bed 24/7, but anyway, there's got to be something I can do to help at least this one disorder's sufferers.

Ignorant question here - DISORDER? or DISEASE?

Hey, ya'll ought to try Carey's coffee, I finally drank it - sang a Christmas Carol, danced with the cat making her meow after every pause.....lol.

Cya.
GLB
(Gail Lynn Batton)

Sharon,
I participate in the Epilepsy foundation of Colorado, so I already signed.

Gail,

I call it a disorder.

Cindy

Epilepsy is a Medical Condition; but the Insurance
Codes labels it as "Seizure Disorder" for Insurance
purposes.

Epilepsy CAN come from viral / viruses and diseases,
but Epilepsy itself is not a disease.

Hope this clears the bases!

=====================

Thanks everyone who has been voting!

:tup:

I use to argue with my sister that epilepsy was a disorder not a disease.
With her working in insurace field I think she liked labeled me having disease.
made her feel superior.

Belinda

From the Epilepsy Foundation:

About Epilepsy

What is Epilepsy?

Epilepsy is a medical condition
that produces seizures affecting a variety of mental and physical functions. It’s also called a seizure disorder. When a person has two or more seizures, they are considered to have epilepsy.

From Epilepsy.com:

Epilepsy 101 - What is Epilepsy?

Epilepsy is a neurological condition, which affects the nervous system. Epilepsy is also known as a seizure disorder. It is usually diagnosed after a person has had at least two seizures that were not caused by some known medical condition like alcohol withdrawal or extremely low blood sugar. Sometimes, according to the International League Against Epilepsy, epilepsy can be diagnosed after one seizure, if a person has a condition that places them at high risk for having another.

thanks

DISORDER has it:clap:

THis has been a very informative day.

I count that as a profitable day.

God bless one and all, good nite.

GLB

Epilepsy petition

I joined a petition online through facebook and here is a message from the guy who is organizing this petition. I urge everybody to signed please, and get ANYBODY else you may know to sign as well.

The Epilepsy Foundation is trying to collect 100,000 signatures on a petition in support of a greater funding, better care and an end to discrimination. Please sign right now at www.epilepsypetition.com .

We want to show the new President, Congress and our state legislature that the public supports our cause! We also want to raise awareness. Since we launched this effort last week, we've collected more than 1,000 signatures. But we need to collect 99,000 more by our deadline of December 31, 2008.

PLEASE SIGN AND INVITE YOUR FRIENDS!
We need your help to spread the word!

"Dear All,

I'm happy to report that we've collected nearly 20,000 signatures on the Epilepsy Petition (www.epilepsypetition.com). The deadline for signing is December 31, 2008 so the time to take action is now.

We had a big burst of activity thanks to UCB, sponsor of the www.epilepsyadvocate.com website. They sent an email to supporters about the petition and more than 5,000 signed. We greatly appreciate their strong support.

The Foundation is also working hard to collect signatures in the final two weeks of this campaign. Hopefully we can hit the 25,000 mark before we're through. Many thanks for your support and please continue to spread the word and help us defeat epilepsy!"

Joe

Joseph LaMountain
Director of Grassroots Advocacy
Epilepsy Foundation
Landover, MD
jlamountain@efa.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed the petition.. Anyone that hasnt please do. Thanks for posting that. I got that message also.

"The Epilepsy Foundation is leading the fight to increase funding for research and programs, stop discrimination and improve access to care.

In 2009, a new President, 535 members of Congress and nearly 10,000 state legislators will take office. By signing our petition, you can help us persuade"

Hmmm....with those numbers and the numbers from the CDC, at least 5 members of Congress and 100 state legislators are personally effected by epilepsy. I signed. Let's hope it does some good.

In Italy we had, in northern Italy, in southern is usually a bit different, a good medical assistance, for free, or better we pay almost completely it with our taxes, our system is different than yours. Sometimes you must pay to have a better medical assistance, but in Italy is your right as a citizen to have medical assistance. I cannot sign, obviously, but I hope your petition will help, and I hope your new president will change things.

I signed the petition today and used the option to send emails to friends and family so that they could also sign - with a little added nudge from me :bigsmile: I thought I would go ahead and post here so that it would bring this post back up to the current list in case there are some out there Like ME that weren't aware that there was a 2009 petition. Thanks again to all of you for being there.

Back
Top Bottom