Epilepsy Support Group Austin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Epilepsy Support Group

Tomorrow night at 6:30 will be another Epilepsy support group meeting at St. John Branch Library if anyone in the Austin area wants to go.
PM me if you need more info. Just thought I would let everyone know. I know there are some people from Austin on here.

Hope everyone is well, take care

Crystal

Hey everyone-
We went to our second Epilepsy Support Group meeting here in Austin. Our topic was Epilepsy and Stress. We discussed way to reduce stress- what types of stressors there are and how it can effect our general health.
Some people commented on how their seizures are effected by stress. Normally most people don't get stressed out to the point of having a seizure- but I think the seizure threshold can be lowered some by stress- or long-term intense stress.
For me, when I get stressed- to the studio I go. I love to compose music and perform it as well. A song takes time to write and it takes a great deal of concentration. For me- it gets my mind off of things for a bit.
I know that after having multiple seizures- I become stressed out- as if nothing is working.
Anyways- we discussed that a little bit and also ways to reduce stress such as aroma therapy, message therapy, meditation, doing hobbies, walking and reading.

We also talked about counseling for those needing to discuss stressful events, or issues about Epilepsy and their seizures. Several people, including me were interested in finding someone that counsels people with Epilepsy. Kelly, our leader is going to research about that for us. She works for the Epilepsy Foundation and is a neuro-surgery nurse and has a great deal of experience in her field. She has great topics and we have a good session.

There were a few people that were new to the group. Some have had seizures for a little while, and some- like me, their whole lives.

Kelly also mentioned about Epilepsy Foundation helping those without insurance, that have been denied Medicaid, services to help find them neurologists and ways to get medications.

January's topic is Epilepsy and Medications
February's topic is Epilepsy and the Family

If anyone needs info/address etc for the Austin Epilepsy Support Group, send me an email here or PM etc.

Everyone take care
Crystal

Hi Crystal!

My name is Patrick and I live in Austin, and just last month started having seizures. I would really like to join your group. I think it will help me especially not having friends or family here in Austin. I'm here just for school.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Tomorrow night at 6:30 will be another Epilepsy support group meeting at St. John Branch Library if anyone in the Austin area wants to go.
PM me if you need more info. Just thought I would let everyone know. I know there are some people from Austin on here.

Hope everyone is well, take care

Crystal
Wow, that library happens to be walking distance from my house! Since my seizures started they suspended me from driving :(

You may

want to PM Crystal to make sure of the next meeting date, or call the library.

want to PM Crystal to make sure of the next meeting date, or call the library.

Hello everyone! Sorry for being on here more often. Yes epilepsy support group is every first Monday of the month. The leader is an epilepsy nurse but is now a stay-athome mother I believe. She is great and everyone enjoys talking about various topics related to epilepsy.

The more people the better and getting to know some of you on here would make it a little easier to feel comfortable, knowing a person from CWE will be there. It's an awesome group and for some, it's there for time to talk with another person with epilepsy

Anyway. Anyone is welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom