Facebook event!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Good for you, Rae! *highfive*

I was going to wear a purple ribbon all month anyway, but making a facebook page is a great idea! You go, girl!

Can anyone recommend a good place to get the purple ribbons or bracelets from? I got some red and white bracelets from the Texas Epilepsy Foundation, but would like to get some purple stuff, and know the money is going to help the cause... Thanks.

Yes, they are purple, and the site page says epilepsy on it, I don't think it has anything to do with epilepsy in anyway whatsoever... They sell bands and colors for anything you are interested in... I could probably get red and black with inverted crosses from them also... I would like to find an actual epilepsy cause, where all proceedes go directly to epileplsy research. Purple ribbon from JoAnn works better for me then using them...(I might need your help, Literophile!!!)

Thank you, Tinasmom. Maybe I will get those, although it looks like now they only have them in red. I guess it doesn't really matter the color, as long as it goes to the cause.

Rae, all CWE members & Guests:

I have an idea to increase epilepsy awareness, but don't know if it will work and would really like your opinions...
One morning I was eating yogurt & as I was pulling off the lid (which, of course, was to raise funds for cancer awareness), I thought, looking at the lid, 'Hey, if this has raised tons of money for women's cancer research, why can't a lid (ex: pudding & yogurt) be created for epilepsy & head trauma (football & military)?' I don't know where to start, though, but I'm open to all opinions. As always, take care, everyone. *PS: Thank you much for your fave Halloween candy cravings!

Last edited:
GREAT idea, Ann. Maybe a place to start is companies that are known for their philanthropy, like Ben & Jerry's ice cream, or Newman's Own.

There are some

pro footballers out there with E, and some whose children have E as well. Perhaps this would be an avenue to take?

I would encourage everyone to send the NFL an email asking them to help us with E awareness by recognizing November as E Awareness Month. I have sent them one email and will continue to send them emails.

I am asking everyone I know to release purple balloons today as the start of Epilepsy Awareness Month. I am attaching notes to mine to let people know what the balloon is for and to please let me know where it was found.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get the purple ribbons or bracelets from? I got some red and white bracelets from the Texas Epilepsy Foundation, but would like to get some purple stuff, and know the money is going to help the cause... Thanks.

Here in Colorado we can get purple ribbons directly from the Epilepsy Foundation. It says "Epilepsy Awareness" on it, but I went to JoAnn's and bought purple ribbon and am making my own ribbons without the wording and sending them to friends, relatives, to wear.

Last edited:
Great idea Ann!

Try writing to places like Dole etc. Probiotics in yogurt can help people with Epilepsy so maybe mention that in your emails?

It's great some of them say "epilepsy awareness" on them. Purple ribbons have received national press lately, and not for epilepsy. They represent the fight against Domestic Violence, Epilepsy, Pancreatic Cancer, ADD, Alzheimer’s, Animal Abuse, Crohn’s Disease, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, ADHD, Homelessness & Thyroid Cancer, and the LGBT teens who died in relation to bullying, as well.

Most of the colors have multiple meanings, with the exception of those that have a pattern on them like stripes or puzzle patterns.
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/Ribbo...ings___What_color_do_you_need__unique_1031389

I will proudly wear purple, and I will clarify for people when they say, "Thank you for standing up against animal abuse!"

I know that i am behind the ball here, but i did attend, and figured out how to send invites.. I am not computer savvy, but anyone know how i might figure out how to get a purple ribbon for my fb pic for the month? It is sad for me to note (and embarrassing) I didn't know that there was a month dedicated to epilepsy awareness just from the simple fact that everyone i am around doesn't want to hear about it. That is one of the biggest reasons i joined this group, i wanted to talk with peeps like like me. I like the idea of the event, :clap: i wouldn't have thought of anything like that, because i do feel ashamed sometimes.. so if anyone knows how to put the purple ribbon up on my profile i would be grateful. Thanks

There is an app on facebook called "stickers" that is what I used. Here is the link apps.facebook.com/fribbon/group.php?gid=625&refer=pp just type in epilepsy in the search field and it will pull up all the ones related to it and you can choose from there :)

I didn't do a very good job as far as the book of faces was concerned last month promoting epilepsy awareness. I guess I have an underlying fear that some people will misconstrue my message as an appeal for attention for myself. I totally agree we need to keep talking about it though! Nobody's talking about it for us, that's for sure. While general understanding is heaps better than it was 50 years ago, it could still be SO much better. Plus we could certainly benefit from funding for research.

Hearing that somebody posted 'it's not like it's that serious or anything'?! is infuriating. People don't realize seizure related deaths kill as many people as breast cancer does every year, and there was pink all over the place.

Purple is far more appealing, besides.

Back
Top Bottom