Las Vegas Sun epilepsy story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Marshall --

Marshall, I appreciate that the article is fairly comprehensive; It lets the reader know, among other things, that: Epilepsy is more than just the convulsions that are usually portrayed on TV or in movies. It can be misdiagnosed. And the article portrays as well the difficulties people with epilepsy can have when confronted by police or others who are unaware of how seizures can manifest and affect memory.

Oooh, that

is a GREAT article, Marshall! Very well-written, comprehensive, and informative for those who have absolutely NO clue about E, or the problems that go along with it, and the possibility of solving it.

YEAH!!!!:clap::clap:

Excellent in depth article.

Sure am glad I know this guy's route to work, because I know I will be avoiding it. How and WHY in the name of sam hill is he DRIVING!!!???? Neurologists are required by the state of Nevada to report to the DMV active epilepsy. The patient must sign a promise NOT to drive and their driving license is revoked (unless voluntarily relinquished like I did) until they are 3 months seizure free.
:soap:

Thank you for covering this topic very comprehensively. I wish Chris well as he continues through the recovery process. Thanks for sharing your article.

Good information the public needs to be aware of.

I had the same type of surgery and I was told to give it a good two years before being declared as "seizure free". Unfortunately, I started having seizures again after 14 months and couldn't have another surgery.

Thanks Marshall for covering Chris' story. There is so much more to epilepsy that most folks don't see - so many aspects where it impacts one's life. It's great to see some coverage of it once in a while.

I think the article is great! I liked how intense it was at times and how much info was given about the various types of Epilepsy and seizures. It's also great that you shared how the testing is done that determins a seizure and where it might be.
A lot of people don't realize that a seizure can be so mild as far as symptoms because so many people associate Epilepsy with a grand-mal seizure which is so generalized. Epilepsy still has a social stigma that I think this artcle can help break even if its a little at a time.

Great job
Crystal

Great article about Chris and his story. Sadly if someone wrote a story about all the varieties of seizures and epilepsy it would be as big as an encyclopedia. That is what makes it so hard to explain to anyone but every story like this helps. I hope that you are planning to follow up next year to see how it is going and maybe cover another persons struggles and/or success with epilepsy. What impresses me most is the depth of the story and great writing on your part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom