Lets get Epilepsy on TV... Here is how.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For the next couple of days, I will be sending ideas I have worked on for the past three years. I believe that Santa Claus, not me, could do a lot of good for epilepsy. This image is very powerful, and I can tell you I have done it better than most. For those people that don't know me, I posted a little abut myself in another thread.

MTV is very important to us. Not only will it help get our video some airplay, but they have a couple of shows that we could work out a deal with them to do.

True Life: I am an Epileptic
. I have watched the True Life shows, and they are awesome. I have probably sent MTV over 100 hundred emails asking them to do a show about epilepsy. This is something we could help produce, but I would not be on. I know exactly what type of people we could use, and it can do a lot of good in explaining how important epilepsy awareness is. By getting this one show aired, we would have done more for Epilepsy than most organizations, and that will me big money. You see, I know that by me coming out and being the lead guy, we will have access to other great minds and stories that need to be told. This could include TV shows or movies, depending on how far you want to take it.

Pimp my Truck. The Christmas episode: For two years, I have wanted them to do the Santa mobile. Basically, it is a tour bus ( I would love to have a double decker bus, and have an idea what I would like) designed for Santa Claus. Remember, we are going to have a charity tour with three sports, and the basic concept for Santa Claus is unlimited giving. Since you have the real one, I would not see why we can't sell them on the idea. Getting this bus on TV would give us instant credibility, as well as money (the way my design is, you have the 8 reigndeer painted on the bus. But instead of names, companies will pay to be sponsor on the tour (we can charge a lot, and use a portion for charity) I even have the video mapped out in my head ( it involves me with a shitty red bus, and one of my "elves" walks by with a beautiful woman and enters his hot rod, with me looking into the camera and pleading: MTV, please Pimp my ride. LOL (sorry, that idea always makes me laugh)

We can create our own show: the idea for the tour is unlimited giving, which means there will be a lot of charity work to do. Trust me, that is a big responsibility where we could use all the help we can get. So, we come up with an idea where we get contestents to compete in different events, all in the name of charity. If you remember, ABC had something called Oprah's Big Give ( by the way, I still contend that idea was originally mine) MTV I am sure would love to have this, especially if their bus is featured. There can never be enough goodwill, and even if there is no show, people will be attracted to this idea.

Why couldn't these ideas work?

Being passionate about epilepsy awareness, I realized we need to do something big to get the country to care. That was how I came up with the idea for Santa, and I have seen what can be done.

If I had an organization, or even one person, represent theses ideas to Mtv, I think it could work. MTV would be getting some interesting program, and be able to put the 'real" back in reality television.

With something like this, obviously we could figure out the best way to promote epilepsy to a demographic we really need: the youth. Not only could some money be raised, but if we did something truly fun for people, it would get them talking about epilepsy. And if we do it in the right way, they will be talking about epilepsy in the factual way, not the myths that most of the public believes.

Epilespsy out has been on T.V.

The only problem is it is just so misunderstood! And when you start talking to people about epilepsy people don't know what you are talking about. I have been advocating for epilepsy laws and ADa laws for avery long time and I am finally getting some recognition for my work and I'll continue to advocate for everyone and their rights!
David Hair

david,

I think it is great that you are doing advocacy work, and that is all i want to do. But how can I? I am 32, and living with parents that don't want me there. For three years, i have tried everything i could to help, and have sacrificed friends and family. I am an athlete on a sport that is shown on TV, and have done some amazing work already ( i entertained a nation by just being myself, and got two good stories about epilepsy)

I am just looking for help. I would love to see if we can develop these ideas, and maybe introduce epilepsy in a fun way. I know this could work, but I have lost everything trying, and now i need some help. I believe that we can do a successful epilepsy awareness campaign with me on the beach, but can't do it without any support.

I am desperate, but only because of all the hard work I put into this venture. I am willing to make a deal with anyone, which is not what i wanted. I wanted to run a smart and effective campaign, but since i have to get out of my house, this could turn out to be bad. Again, I don't want to come across as being crazy, but that is exactly what is happening because of my current situation. I can give up and get committed, but what good will that do.

Isn't there an organization that could help athletes with epilepsy?

I think the true life episode is a really good idea. That way there is not alot of mis information. Lets people tell their own story
Good ideas!

For three years, i have talked with different people, and developed many ideas that I know could help. My biggest problem is that i am in a bad situation, as many people on this site can probably relate to.

i know i have a marketable story ( I am not saying i have suffered any more than anyone else, because I haven't) that the public will respond to. Now, it is just finding either that one person or organization to take a chance with me. Yes, i am needy, but this is not my intentions. I just want to play beach tennis, raise awareness for epilepsy, and figure out ways to get epilepsy some positive attention on Tv. With my Santa thing, it might be a bit strange, but it also could be that unusual thing that works. I just had a business guy leave me in the cold, and if i don't get help soon, all my ideas will go to waste.

Sure, everybody else has better ideas, and i understand it. But I think it would be a shame if I was left to fend for myself. Bernard has seen me post for over three years, and I think he will tell you that I have been consistent. I don't know if I need a sponsor, but I do know i need to get out of my parents house so I can concentrate on the tasks at hand, instead of worrying about getting yelled at.

Sorry for these distressing emails, but my life is literally on the line. I have paid my dues and never asked for anything. Now, i am hoping somebody reading this will either know somebody that likes the idea of an athlete with epilepsy, or an organization willing to take a chance. I know what I will be able to accomplish with just a little bit of support, but I also know what will happen to me if I get nothing, and that scares me half to death.

i am not looking for pity. I only want to help, and if I can associate myself with someone, or an organization, then i will really be able to do some damage.

Hasn't anyone been in this type of situation, and got that little help needed? That is all I want. I have the resume to prove myself, and the passion to make a difference. Now, i just need a room with some food so I can continue to help.

With much respect,

Scott

With my Santa thing, it might be a bit strange, but it also could be that unusual thing that works.

Scott- I like your ideas except for using Santa. I agree that people with epilepsy have not been given enough attention or have been neglected but I think that using an icon that represents any 1 specific culture or religion tends to ignore others. I was raised without santa or christmas & I would interpret something like that as representing Christians with epilepsy only & would find that insulting.

Last edited:
I play beach tennis. If you go to you tube, and type it in, you will see a clip of a guy where a santa hat. I actually had the crowd chanting Santa, and if you listen to the announcer, i did a real good thing. this sport is taking off, and has already been on TV a bunch of times. I know i can become one of the best, if I was able to train. Instead, i am going to show up this weekend, and try my hardest and hope for the best. When I lose, i will feel like i failed, but again, going up against guys that play this sport everyday and train, i know I am a longshot. It is frustrating because i have yet to be given an opportunity to show what i can do.

You sound like you have the energy required to be an advocate

You have some very good ideas, especially targeting the 10-30 audience. Most of those older than that are going to change very little. Targeting the young has worked for many good causes, such as seat belts and car seats, and then they just grow up with it.

True Life would be a good venue.

I myself don't like using Santa Claus. I think he should be a children's icon for Christmas and everyone else should stop over using the childhood fantasy.

Good Luck!:rock:

Wow, that is creatively unique! You sound like an entrepreneur. Any other good ideas in there?

Your positive attitude, in spite of epilepsy, is your best asset.

You look good in red. Was that hat hot on the beach, though?

I agree with the religion issue. With today's world, they promote diversity. People in other religions might not understand who Santa is or why he's somehow related to Christianity.

Last edited:
Okay, couple of things. My Santa has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with the concept of unlimited giving (Christians can't say they came up with that idea) I have dressed like Santa for three years, and can tell you everyone responds, from young and old, to different types of religions. I am not religious myself, and believe that Santa has nothing to do with religion.

And no, I am not an entreprenaur. I am just a guy who has seen the power of this image, and would like to use it for good ( the amount of money this image could raise for charity could be huge) Ufortunately, I am poor, and my parents want to kick me out of the house. I am looked at as being lazy, and they think I exaggerate things about epilepsy. So, considering that I won't be able to eat in a couple of days unless I get lucky, I hope somebody reading this will be able to promote some of these ideas. It is the young we need to target, and the worst part is I know how to do it ( a hit music single would work, as well as a movie or a comic book)

For three years, I have had to do everything by myself, with little support. I can't do it anymore, and it stinks. I wish I could come on this site and say all of this as been done already ( I am sure you would be interested in that) but nobody wants to help. I can't blame anyone, because my ideas are a bit unusual. But to be honest, ( and please, don't take offense) I don't see a better option out there. Yes, everyone in here has done a lot more than I ever have, but we still get stupid comments said on Tv ( most recently Jewel). I have tried everything, and the only thing I need is a business person willing to see the marketing potential of SAnta on the beach. I am not a phony, just a guy who is trying to do something important on his own. Well, I have failed at this, and don't think I have the strength to go on any further. I am scared to be sent to an asylum, and don't want to take my chances at a homeless shelter. I am to good for that ( I am not trying to be cocky)

It just takes one business person to see how big beach tennis is getting, ( it is already being shown on TV) and I think I would make an excellent spokesperson. My story is inspirational ( as are many of yours) and my story can be marketed to the public in ways most can't. Everyone, especially my parents, like to tell me how much I have failed, yet I have never been given an opportunity. The guys that run beach tennis have refused for three years to say anything about epilepsy on their site, even though when given the opportuntiy, am always the crowd favorite.

What else do I need to do!!

Is it possible to come up with an excellent idea, document it and create a patent pending or trademark on it?

They did it with pet rocks.

Your parents seem to not be very compassionate if they intend to kick you out. I like to have a backup plan. I love art. But, I got training in math and computers and I'm still going for more training in those areas. I figured I could do the art on the side, possibly use my math, and still have computer science as a marketable skill.

To be honest, Santa, to me leaves an impression of a stout guy who eats cookies and milk, rides a sleigh, and also sits in the mall with little kids asking for the latest toys or crying loudly on his lap for that 'special' photo. That doesn't count what they also do to his uniform. I know somebody who was a Santa Clause and he had to wear an inside plastic lining under that red uniform.

When I get stuck for a better thought or idea, I have to take a break and walk my dog. That break gives me a fresh state of mind to come up with a new approach. Your thought of the unique Santa and the happy spirit he protrudes is great. Are there other ways to publish this thought, such as using a character like the Grinch. Look how successful Dr. Seuss was with that one. They did cartoons on it. They sold lots and lots of books. They made several movies on it. And, I really enjoyed reading every Dr. Seuss book that ever existed. There was a unique guy, who was artistic, reclusive, but very, very successful.

Last edited:
I think a real life show about Epilepsy would be wonderful. I think you would need to include the families that have lost someone to Epilepsy so people know this is a disorder that does take lives. It would need to show the impact it has on the entire family also.

Tinasmom and alivenwell, thanks for your responses.

The whole image of Santa being stout and fat is an image I am hoping to change ( remember, it was Macy's and Coke Cola that came up with it) In this day and age of fitness, why not have a slender looking Santa playing a professional sport? ( granted, I am still chubby, but want to work on it) I also hate the image of the mall Santas, as I don't speak to children about what toys they want ( I did that once in ARuba, and actually something great happened. If you are interested, I will tell you)

The image I want to portray is a fun loving guy that has a heart of gold. This is someone everyone can relate to, both children and adults. Yes, I plan on shattering the image of Santa as most people know it, but I feel that is a good thing. I have seen the power of this image, and I believe that this power could be used for better things.

And yes, I have thought about the tv show and the different components to it a lot. I also know that I would not be included in a television show strictly about epilepsy, because I represent the 1%er's. I was on the EFA website for three years and started seeing great people, especially some teenagers. I know their stories would be perfect.

I also can't wait to start doing books using the Santa image ( remember, any projects I do with the image of Santa a portion will go to charity) But try to understand that I have struggled for three years, and haven't been able to get these things going ( if people want to call it an excuse, that is fine by me) I am just waiting for the opportunity, and once I get that, then the sky is the limit ( I also had the idea that anything I do will have something about epilepsy, most notably a line saying that we cannot swallow our tounges during a seizure)

Okay, so I just played in a beach tennis tournament on Saturday. CAn I tell you that I have the chance to be one of the best, along with my partner, teams on the sand? We are definitely the most entertaining, and we can beat anyone. The problem is that because of my situation, I can't practice at all, and yet am still one of the best. I want to use this sport as a way to raise awareness for epilepsy and money for different charities, but can't living at my parents home. I am looking for sponsors, but it is tough without a business manager. I have the ear of a guy who works for the USTA and might want to get involved in my charity ideas. This has the potential to be huge, but I can't get help.

So, if anybody would like to help me get out of my parents house, get a room in Long Beach, NY for a couple of months so I can practice properly, feel free to PM me. Better yet, find a company willing to be the first sponsor, because as soon as I get one sponsor, this project can take off. But until then, I am forced to listen to how bad I am, how much I screw up, and how I am ruining the lives of my family. I can't wait to laugh about this, but it is not funny now. The truth is, I know I can help out everyone with epilepsy by running an effective awareness campaign, but can't getting yelled at.

With much respect,

SCott E Bananas

So, back to my pleas for help. I just spoke with a guy, and he told me I need to have a business sponsor me, not an individual. He is going to contact BACA ( Bikers Against Child Abuse) to see if they want to get involved (I hosted a couple of benefits for them a couple of years ago, but it went sour because I needed to eat) Lets suppose that I can sell this guy on the idea of Santa helping to promote their organization: Is this really the type of organization that you want epilepsy affiliated with?

I say that because some people don't like the idea of BACA. Yet, if they are willing to help, I would raise money for them, and use that to help out epilepsy awareness. Then, many people would criticize me for being part of that organization ( by the way, I know they will say no, so I am just speaking hypothetical)

I don't get along with the EFA, but I know there are other epilepsy organizations that could benefit from me. I admit that I am a horrible son, because I have sacrificed everything in order to try to help with the awareness campaign. I am obsessed because I have yet to see someone come up with these ideas. But they are just ideas, and they are being wasted right now.

I am not a scam artist, and I am not looking for a handout. I have spent three years developing these concepts, and have done some amazing work already. I know I have proven myself with my dedication, passion, and the fact that I can offer a sport to you guys. The only thing I want is to get away from my parents so I can start all of this.

If you know of any organization, have them contact me, PLEASE!!

What's wrong with BACA? Isn't this a group raising money for a good cause also? Or is it the stigma attached to bikers? I think we here all know how frustrating a stigma can be. We just had our 1st Annual Poker Run for Epilepsy in June. This Poker Run was done mainly on bike, but all vehicles were welcome. Did you know that bikers ride all over to raise money for MDA? Last year the MDA Tub Run here raised around 1 million dollars.

I sure hope you find an organization that is willing to sponsor you. Good luck!

This sounds like you need support outside your home. Have you sought any assistance from a vocational rehabilitation organization? Are you living near public transportation?

Employers usually have newsletters. They love to find ways to get good publicity that captures their employees' attention.

What are your interests outside the athletic arena?

I need all the help I can get.

My biggest problem is that I have run out of time. I was fired three years ago from my job, due in large part to my seizures. However, my father never understood, and made it hell on me ( and yes, I made it hell on him too) Since I had a couple of uncles and a brother working for the same company, I was immediately told I was wrong, and things became worse when I did file for the lawsuit. I tried not living with my parents, but my conditions were unbearable, and forced to move back home, which made things worse. Living in an environment where you are living in fear of getting yelled at is not conducive to anyone, and my father knew no other way ( not his fault) I was getting yelled at to get a job, but knew I was pretty sick, and couldn't do anything.

I used my money from the settlement to go back to Aruba, and was treated great. But, because I tried working with Aruban businesses that kept telling me yes, yes, yes, and never actually did anything, was forced to move back home. I sit in my room afraid to come out because I don't want to get yelled at ( again, all of my fault)

So, while I am trying to talk with BACA, and will be speaking with a Deli tomorrow, the only thing I care about is getting out of this house. That makes me desperate, and nobody wants to deal with a desperate guy. So, yes, I am going to Social Services, and we are going to ask them to put me into a place, but it needs to be done right away. So, now I can concentrate on anything else but getting the heck out of here, which stinks because I should be concentrating on this tournament, and getting the charity tour going ( I have people that are interested) I know this could do a lot for epilepsy awareness, and I have people that would support this. But again, since I am poor, people don't want to go near me. And since my frame of mind right now is not where it should be, how is anyone going to take me seriously.

Yes, I know many people would tell me forget about the tournament, forget about this sport until I land on my feet. But I have sacrificed everything for the past three years, and don't have the strength to fight anymore. I know that if we can get a little publicity Labor Day weekend, this has a chance to be a good thing. I am stubborn, passionate, and blinded by my need to do a good thing, and that has gotten me in trouble. So, maybe I deserve all of this, or maybe if I can just get that little help, I will be able to accomplish my goals.

As far as what I can do outside the sport. Look, I am an entertainer. I can entertain kids with the best of them, and know how good I am. But I can't get a job because I don't know where i am going to be living. I am rightfully being kicked out of my house, and since I don't drive and have no idea where I will be, can't do anything just yet.

I have spoken with people about putting their logos on my back. The whole SAnta thing comes down to the image on the beach, and what an interesting marketing tool it could be. If I just had a place, with some food, I know this could work out, because I would only have to focus on getting a job, instead of the little things, like finding out where to live and how to eat with no money. I have no idea what kind of place social services will put me in, and can't do anything until I find out. Having seizures, it will be as simple as just getting any job.

As far as the newsletters go. That is a great idea. Would you have any ideas of who I can contact?

Back
Top Bottom