Pennsylvania Patient Protection Legislation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trudy

New
Reaction score
If you live in Pennsylvania and you or someone you love is living with epilepsy or seizure disorders, please go to the Epilepsy Foundation's website for information about PA House Bill 98 (Anti-Epilepsy Medicine), a critical piece of patient protection legislation that is currently pending in the state House Appropriations Committee.

House Bill 98 would require a pharmacy to notify a patient and patient's doctor before a change from brand name to generic or one generic manufacturer to another generic manufacturer or from a generic to a brand name is made to a patient's anti-seizure medication.

I just had this happen with my son's Lamictal prescription - came home from the pharmacy and opened the package to find that the pharmacy had filled it for the generic even though the scrip was written specifically for Lamictal. My son has been seizure-free since starting Lamictal 6 months ago and I would not want to do anything to risk a breakthrough seizure. The Epilepsy Foundation strongly opposes switching from Lamictal to generic, and with that information I was able to convince my insurance company to cover the Lamictal. But I am concerned for anyone else who might not notice that their medication has been switched without their knowledge or their doctor's.

I customized the pre-written letter from the Epilepsy Foundation and emailed it to my local legislator to have my voice heard on this subject. The more voters they hear from, the better. Thank you.

Trudy

I sent that letter off as well. I'm constantly fighting that battle to get brand name only as well. It costs a little more, but it's well worth it.

In my case, I was taking brand name only Mysoline for a really long time. The original manufacturer temporarily stopped production and generics were my only choice. I closely studied all the fillers and the order in which they were listed. The company changed both ordering of fillers, added a few and removed a few and that was placed back on the market! From that experience I am keeping at least 2 weeks of a backup supply if I have to gradually make a transition.

Back
Top Bottom