State of CT Governor cut Epilepsy Funding

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bbbecki78

New
Reaction score
Governor Rell Eliminates Funding for Epilepsy Programs Take Action!

Action Needed

Special message from Linda Wallace, Executive Director, Epilepsy Foundation of Connecticut

Dear Epilepsy Advocates:

I have just learned Governor Rell has eliminated all of our state funding ($55,000) from the Department of Social Services budget.

This action was taken because of a shortfall in projected revenue.

Since the legislative session has ended, the only recourse we have is to contact the Governor's office and urge her to reinstate our funding.

I will be attending a hearing this week where the Department of Social Services will testify before the Appropriations Committee regarding these cuts. I plan to attend and to talk with as many people as I can about the need for this funding. Unfortunately we will not have an opportunity to testify.

That is why it is really important for you to put pressure on the Governor's office by calling, e-mailing, or both.
Let her know you are concerned with our loss of funding and let her know why.

Take Action »

Call: Governor's office -- (860) 566 4840
Write: use this page to email Governor Rell
Our message »

People with epilepsy have unique service needs and rely on the Epilepsy Foundation Connecticut for information, education, recreation and support. [NOTE: Here you can personalize your message by talking about how the Epilepsy Foundation of Connecticut has helped you with epilepsy, e.g. education in your child's school, a support group, information, summer camp, etc.]
It's unfortunate that the Governor's cuts included eliminating the entire line item for people with epilepsy. People with epilepsy are a vulnerable population and depend on this funding even more during these tough economic times.
The Epilepsy Foundation of Connecticut works hard to raise money from a variety of resources; the state spends only 50 cents per person.
Thank you in advance for your support!

Linda Wallace
Executive Director
Epilepsy Foundation of Connecticut
386 Main Street
Middletown, CT 06457-3360
(860) 346-1924
(800) 899-3745

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.

I am so appalled at this, I could just scream. I emailed this to everyone at our local foundation and asked them to write to the Governor. I also posted it on the Parents Helping Parents forum on the National Epilepsy website. I sure hope that we can get this turned around.

Here is what the Governor had to say:

She has cut the whole state budget by 3%. She said "In these times we must ALL cut back' and her contribution is that she is not traveling out of state at STATE expense. She will not be putting the $ back into the EFCT line item, or the other things this fiscal year. She claims it is a big sacrifice she is making NOT to make these trips and that we all must cut back....She fails to see that people with epilepsy cannot manage without the help we were getting with the services.

Hmmph! I say put all of the state workers on minimum wage......including the governor. That would put money into the budget, and remind them of how their constituents...you know, the people that voted for them, live.

I wonder how many Wall Street Execs and Bankers who are being bailed out live in CT. I know that is a federal bail out, but if these folks weren't hiding their income in off shore corporations, maybe CT could afford to provide the basics to their other citizens.

Ohio is fighting similar perverted cuts but can still earmark all kinds of perks that are unnecessary. There is a $450,000 grant being spent locally on a tourism/historic project. The money is coming from the Road/Bridges fund which they claim doesn't have enouch money to fix our bridges. Hmmm ... what a crock!

Government MUST be able to function within its means, but they should have been thinking about that over the last 10 years of good times.

Sorry - I'll shut up now :paperbag:

I received a reply from the Governor today. Of course it is the typical letter that is sent to everyone. My friend at the Epilepsy Foundation here got the same one. Here is the last part of the letter:

The economic environment has changed since the two-year budget plan was adopted in June 2007. The Governor realizes that making cuts is never an easy process, but she believes they are necessary. She has made efforts to ensure that agencies with the greatest public safety or human services roles have borne the smallest cuts.

I guess she considers taking ALL the funding from the EFCT is a small cut. I will be replying to this letter.

Wow....

When I take vacation again, CT will NOT be my destination for any monetary expenditures. I'm glad I went somewhere else this year.

Back
Top Bottom