Steve Harvey blew it.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

flinnigan

New
Reaction score
I'm not usually sensitive to things like this and I know others are and thought this would be a great opportunity to get some info out. Today on Good Morning America Steve Harvey made a bad joke about seizures. When he was asked how to get rid of a guy he responded by saying "Fake a seizure, oh never mind my friend always carries a spoon just for that reason." I've emailed GMA to warn them of the potential back lash and to inform them of how dangerous it is to place anything in a seizing persons mouth. I then emailed again reminding them its Epilepsy Awareness month and that this would be a great opportunity to dispel myths like that.

Wow, I guess Steve Harvey is really under-educated! That ticks me off. even before I had a grand mal, I knew that you shouldnt put somehting in someones mouth. That's just common sense that you can break teeth. I'd rather the person chew their tounge than swallow and choke on the object in their mouth if they break it.

Good on you Flinnigan

Here is the text surrounding his comment. I guess a seizure is like a restraining order to this "comedian"

Michelle, who is 25 and single, wanted to know how to gently let down a man who she isn't interested in.

Steve Harvey has the answers to women?s burning questions about men.
(ABC News)"You can't," Harvey said bluntly. "We don't care what you do.

"A restraining order is sometimes helpful," he joked. "Or you could fake a seizure."

Full story at http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting...ons-men-relationships/Story?id=8997330&page=1

My note to the editor is on its way.

Absolutely terrible. What a jerk, and kudos to each of you who writes in and sets him straight.

Hmmm

so does that mean that it's ok to joke about breast cancer during breast cancer awareness month, or any other time for that matter??? That idiot needs a "Gibbsmack"

Thanks for letting me know, Flannigan, I wrote to them, also. It is a great opportunity to get the word out!

blackjokes

What would he do if the joke were about blacks. What if someone used the 'n' word?
What if his wife suddenly had a seizure? Would he be chivalrous enough to make sure she was safe, or would he cram a spoon down her throat, breaking her teeth and possibly choking her to death? What if he had a seizure? How would he want to be treated?
He and Al Roker are such losers.

Get Riled Up, Now!

We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore:

Sorry, it's the only non-flashy one.

That is awful! And he is a fellow Dallasite too. My ex-husband did work in his home. Here is a link to send an email directly to his show here...I think going to him directly is good, the more the better
http://www.steveharvey.com/
When Jewel pulled her stunt on that Nashville show, I sent both an email and snail mail to the network and never heard a word.

Amazing. At a time when many Americans are returning from military duty with traumatic brain injury and potential seizure disorders, this man seems to be out of touch with the real world. This is why I watch little or no tv anymore. It's dramatic, traumatic, violent and rarely worth watching.

I could post something right now.. but I wont.

I wont fall into being as ignorant as this man.

self absorbed

Went to his website, and found it difficult to figure out through all his ads exactly what link to use to send an e-mail.
I guess he doesn't have to care about anything now that he is a big, rich star making all that money, and people everywhere a just begging him for money. Just think of the power trip he's on.
I sent a short e-mail thru his morning show link, faked a radio station, (I chose Killeen to get his attention), and just ran thru the hi-lights as to why I was mad. The stupid site flickers for some reason, so be careful.
Things I touched on:
What if it was him or his wife,
What about returning soldiers with head injuries, (plus a little guilt trip)
Sending a wrong message to people.
Comparing it to racism.

Last edited:
I emailed

him, too. Told him it was time to learn about seizure first aid, to say the least, that it IS Epilepsy Awareness Month, and to GET WITH IT.

People like him are fools.

I suppose we could check sponsors of his show. And, write to those sponsors about his disgusting remarks. Money is the bottom line. If they don't sponsor his show, it goes off the air.

They never pulled Al Roker off of the Today show. Do you think they will get rid of Steve Harvey?

Personally, they may laugh at our response. I'm not a bigot, but the pattern I see is that Al Roker and Steve Harvey are both part of a minority group which would look discriminatory. Rev Sharpton would be on the air getting coverage and sticking up for Steve Harvey. We really need coverage that puts Roker and Harvey off the air.

The pen is mightier than the sword. A very sharply written letter pointing out their disgusting remarks with a personal decision to ban sponsors and their network may catch attention. I will watch this show one more time to see who pays for it.

People do make mistakes. If he covers epilepsy in a more objective light, then he would be on my good list. I will personally request that one.

Ask Steve Harvey is he watched 60 minutes on CBS on October 25? That was a great show. It put us in a good light, getting rid of myths and letting us know the latest techniques that they are using.

About his wife? He would just divorce her. About himself? He might commit suicide or actually learn something. He might join us. I would welcome him here to learn. About the public? I am sure he will hear from the people in the military. Does he care about what the public thinks? No, he will get a joke at anyone's expense. It does not matter who.

About putting something in your mouth? The time I got epilepsy, 60 years ago to about 10 years ago I was taught to put something in a mouth when someone has a seizure. Now, they know better. The doctor's are learning more and more about epilepsy as time goes on.

Last edited:
Or ask him if he read the newspaper lately:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/we-made-news-7881/

is an excellent thread in addition to a link to the EFA. I do not take this stuff lightly. It smacks of discrimination, adds to ignorance and just keeps epilepsy awareness in the dark. Mockery never gets an objective view. It was probably a random, thoughtless remark. How many other remarks about other medical conditions has this dude make in the past.

I've never cared for Al Roker and stopped watching Today years ago. What did he do? I'd love to know.

Back
Top Bottom