For those in Victoria, BC

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
I just got this e-mailed to me:

Hello, again –

We are really excited about the upcoming conference REASON TO HOPE. This conference will be held on Saturday, Nov. 7 from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm (lunch included), at the University of Victoria.

For this conference, we have two fabulous speakers for the day. In the morning, Dr. Richard Wennberg from the University of Toronto and President of the Canadian League Against Epilepsy will offer a talk on the latest research in epilepsy and seizure disorder and follow-up with a question and answer session. Then, after lunch, Dr. Brian Christie from the University of Victoria Island Medical Program will talk on his research on neuroplasticity and the brain’s ability to repair and regrow neurons, and especially the effect of exercise on this process. We will finish the day with a panel of community and motivational speakers.

This is a reminder please to register as soon as possible. I have included a registration brochure with this email, for your convenience. Or you can call the office at 250-475-6677 if you need any further information.

We hope to see you at the conference.

Regards

Lissa

Man, I

wish I lived up there--I'd go. It sounds like it's REALLY pretty up in the western part of Canada, from what I hear.......

And that conference would be the best part of going. Those doctors are going to give you some great information, Epileric. Make sure you bring it back to us, PLEASE. I know I want to hear ALL about it.

That sounds like a great conference. I love the idea of neuroplasticity. It's so amazing. And so many people are being helped with therapies that figure out how to re-train the brain. Take notes Eric.

Sorry, got nothing to report

I only got 4 hours sleep last night due to insomnia. I had a HUGE sieuzure this morn (at lest by my standards) but despite not being able to remember where I live or where I was going I got a cab & took it to the Epilepsy & Parkinsons Centre. After all that I found out it's not there. I came home to find out that it's at the University which is even farther from my place.
I"m so p*ssed off right now!!! I was really looking forward to this-it's just not fair!!

That was a good waste of 75 bucks!

Sorry everybody, I'm off to sleep.

Oh Eric I'm so sorry about the seizure and the missed conference. Sleep well. Maybe you can contact the conference directors about getting a refund?

Well, I just e-mailed them re. a refund. I"m not optimistic though.

I also asked if there was any sort of documentation of what the speakers said, I really wanted to hear them.

i would like info about the brains ability to repair and regrow neurons,and especially the effects of exercise on this process . dean

Eric,

I'm so sorry you missed the conference. Even more sorry it was because of a seizure.

Usually conferences do publish conference preceedings (written papers of the presentations). They can be a little pricey sometimes, but since this is a nonprofit kind of thing it may be cheaper.

Thanks Endless

I actually did check & there was nothing written available.

I'd actually forgotten about it until someone bumped up this thread (notice it's from over a year ago).

I think what I hate so much about it is not just missing something & the cost but the total helplessness of knowing that even if I went I wouldn't be there mentally.

Eric,

Helplessness.... yes. I understand.

I've been feeling that more and more lately, too, when it comes to some things.

It would be great if more events had simultaneous online streaming video, so more people could attend from home. Then have published conference preceedings for people who are challenged with following along on the content. it would make it more accessible to more people who have disabilities of one kind or another.

I'd be so happy if all I needed to do was watch/attend from home. My problem in this (and a few other) case is that occasionally in my post-ictal state I won't remember what was said 2 seconds after I heard it. That makes any sort of attendance useless. At the time it actually feels better to sleeps so it didn't really bother me that much but waking up & having had to miss something that I was looking forward to was frustrating.

I even remember getting in the cab & when he asked where I'm going I just said "I don't know.... that way". I should have known right then that I was useless but it sometimes takes a while for me to figure that out lol.

Epileric,

Short Term Memory Loss is a big problem of mine as well, especially people's names! I'll see someone I remember from somewhere, but can't remember their name! Or even worse, the place where I've been going for PhysioTherapy since May 2010, I still don't know who is who!

Seizure control comes with a price to pay. Ummm.... what was your name again?

Just 4 You

Back
Top Bottom