Walk for Epilepsy in D.C.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
The National Walk for Epilepsy in D.C. is fast approaching (March 28th). My family and I will be walking this year and then attending the National Kids Speak Up conference. I also have been invited to join others to speak with my Senators regarding E and what they can do to help us.

Is anyone else from here planning on attending the walk?

Ohhhhh, if

I could afford to go, I would be there in a heartbeat..........but sadly, I cannot. I am going to start saving up to be there next year, or the year after, though....

I got an email about this today and thought to myself that I wished I had the money to go, but then I realized it wouldn't do any good...I'm not suppose to take walks due to some health issues. Geez...my memory is really getting bad!:banana:

D'oh I am going to miss it by a few days, I am flying into D.C. on the 9th of April.

Doing it Locally here ...

We are going to be doing
this on March 28th LOCALLY:

• Walk 1.5 miles to the Pinellas Trail
  • Cycle for 10 miles round trip
  • Walk back 1.5 miles in return from Pinellas Trail
  • We will also be tossing out Epilepsy Foundation bands to all those who are on the Pinellas Trail - FREE!

It will be loads of fun!

:tup:

local walk

I've decided to throw all my support to the local walk held in the North Chicago area in September (2nd annual this year). You guys go support have fun and raise awareness, safe travel.....

:) I am going!! :)

Just a few things to finalize and I will be heading down the day before with a group out of Cincinnati. Really looking forward to this trip. I won't have the chance to corner any legislators, but maybe I can do that over the next few months.

I will be helping with a group of older boys and won't know anyone in the group. However, as my wife says, I have never met a stranger after I know them for 15 minutes.

I hope everyone can participate in local events this spring and summer. They can be very uplifting and helpful. Raising the funds is important, but the community awareness is the big goal.

*chuckle*

"older boys"??? Just how old are these boys, Buckeye? LOLOL

Not really sure

I am basically hitching a ride with another group. They told me that they were taking som older boys. I took that to mean teens. It will be a quick in and out, but should be interesting. We will have about an 8 hour drive each way, plus I need to drive two hours to meet them.

We are also going to take the opportunity to do some sightseeing.

Found you, Buckeye! Get that awareness out there! Can't wait to hear about your adventure when you get back!

One week until the National Walk for Epilepsy.

I am reeealllly looking forward to be in DC for the walk. I hope many of you others will be able to walk near your homes or participate in other activities this spring.

:woot:

Thermometer BLOWN again - 2 year in a row ...

We are going to be doing
this on March 28th LOCALLY:
Is your son doing this with you? It sounds like fun.

Oh absolutely! We BLEW the thermometer,
as we have more that are sending money
orders, checks, etc ... for the 2nd year
in a row ... I know that the system did not
update accordingly (you will see it when you
view the pages but I can see it from my
administrator's end).

If you want to you can see and view it
all here:

Stigma Terminators Side Page

Stigma Terminators NEWS Page

And plus we have others that will be joining
alongside with us as well; both my son and
I wear purple ~ I just got my shirt today but
my son has yet to receive his. EFA was slow
this time around ... but I am not too thrilled
of the number of being 699. *laughing* - I
am not going to wear that!

:?

Certainly NOT down here in my State for there
are people's minds in the gutter! *sigh*

I'll be there!

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and it excites me to see advertisements for it on the subway. My boyfriend and I will definitely be there. :)

Hope everyone has fun and the
weather over there is

G
L
O
R
I
O
U
S
!
!
!

Good luck everyone on todays walks :clap:

Have Fun

Last edited:
I will post more later, but for now all I can say is WOW!

14,500 people walking down the mall in DC. From the capital, down and around the Washington monument and back. A great feeling of support and several people from around DC asking about it later.

I had the opportunity to meet 10 young men with epilepsy of various types. That was probably the most special part of the trip. These were some of the best guys I have met in a long time. All of them facing the various challenges we are facing and doing it with great attitudes. They were more inspiring than any monument.

Later!!

The walk in D.C. was a wonderful start to a great time in D.C. Nicole and Courtney made some wonderful friends and so did my husband and I. It was so wonderful to see our children accepted and having such a wonderful time. I gave many people this forum address as they have no one to talk to and I know how accepted we are here and how helpful everyone has been. We were unable to meet personally with our Senators and Congressman but we did talk about our concerns with their staffers. We told our stories and why it is so important for funding increases.

We had some real excitement yesterday morning when there was a fire in the hotel. Thank goodness no one got hurt and the fire was quickly put out.

Buckeye - it was so wonderful to finally meet you in person.

I will be uploading some pics later today after work.

Back
Top Bottom