10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Toronto, Ontario
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > Hamster Cage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM
New Here

electronic interview participation appreciated

STATEMENT OF INFORMED CONSENT
Hi! I am a senior at Christopher Newport University (CNU). I was diagnosed with epilepsy in early 2009 and shortly after I began using online communication through websites to assist me in my recovery.
For my senior seminar course (COMM 452W) I am conducting a research project consisting of a paper and presentation. My personal experience with epilepsy and online health-related forums inspired me to choose this research project. I am investigating how online-mediated communication helps epileptics recover or live with their diagnosis. Please complete an electronic interview. To do so read the RESEARCH SUBJECT INFORMED CONSENT FORM and continue below to answer the interview questions. Please do NOT skip any questions.

RESEARCH SUBJECT INFORMED CONSENT FORM
Prospective Research Subject: Read this consent form carefully and you are free to email me at any time to ask as many questions as you like before, during, or after your participation in this research. I will respond as soon as possible.
1. PURPOSE OF THIS RESEARCH STUDY
The purpose of this study is to:
Gain a better understanding of how computer-mediated communication helps epileptics recover.
2. PROCEDURES
You choose to participate in an individual internet interview conducted by a student currently enrolled in the Communication Studies (452W) Senior Research course. All participants will be asked to complete a short demographic survey at the end of the interview. In total, this process should take about one hour.
3. POSSIBLE RISKS OR DISCOMFORT
This interview should cause no immediate discomfort to you as a participant. If you experience any discomfort during this interview, you may decline to answer questions or cease participation.
4. POSSIBLE BENEFITS
By participating in this study, you will help develop our understanding of communication and its importance to everyday life—specific to epilepsy.
5. CONFIDENTIALITY
By participating in the study, you agree to allow the researcher use of your responses in written research. Your identity will be treated as confidential. The results of the study may be published for scholarly purposes. In official written work based on these questions, participants will be identified by pseudonym or by code.
6. INFORMED CONSENT
You are free to choose whether or not to participate in this study. There will be no penalty or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled if you choose not to participate. You may request copies of significant findings developed during the course of this study at any time by emailing the primary researcher whose contact information is listed below.
By responding you are implying Informed Consent and that you have read and understand that your choice to participate means that your comments may be used as data for this research study.

***Again, by responding you are implying Informed Consent and that your commentary may be used as data in the resulting study.

Sample questions:
1. Do you use a website concerning epilepsy? If you use more than one site, please explain why.
2. When were you diagnosed with epilepsy OR become a caregiver and approximately at what time did you begin using an epilepsy website? (If you are a caregiver say “I am a caregiver.” If you are epileptic and care for someone with epilepsy say “I am both.”)
3. Do you have any other health conditions that require coping mechanisms and/or support? For instance, I am epileptic and have Bipolar Disorder, fibromayalgia and a brain injury. Does your usage of this site help you with any other physical, mental or emotional conditions?
4. Has how you feel about epilepsy changed since the time you started using online support to cope with your condition? If so, how?
5. What features does the site you primarily use offer? Which features do you use and why?
6. What are the things you like most about using this website? List all.
7. What are the things you like least about this website? List all.
8. Have websites helped your own or another epileptic’s recovery? If so, how?
9. How often do you visit this or any other epilepsy website and why
10. Is there is any additional information or comments you would like to add? If so, please do.
Private Message me or send me an email to ensure your anonymity.

Thank you,
Kat

Last edited by epileric; 02-11-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,332 Times in 5,415 Posts
I responded to the questions. It doesn't take too much time. I hope other CWE folks respond as well.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

I will

respond as well to your questions--later on today when I get back from teaching and being hooked up to a blasted portable EEG. Sorry, they make me cranky.

Oh, just so you know, Epileric took your email out for safety purposes. If you have questions about that, PM me, and I'll explain more thoroughly.

Later!

Meetz
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the things that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM
New Here

Smile Seeking more participants!

Your participation is needed. I will be presenting my findings at the Paideia conference at Christopher Newport University Saturday, March 26, 2011.

So far the responses have been really good! Thanks guys!!

Kat