Starting a clinical drug study today.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
for the drug Parampanel. It is being used for Alzhimers patients and patients with partial onset seizures but it is now being tested in patients with Generalized Tonic clonic seizures. Of course it is a double-blind study so I won't know if I am receiving the real thing or a placebo and neither will my doctor.
There are other tests that will have to be done during the testing period i.e., blood tests and EEG's but everything from the testing to dr appts will be paid for and after the study period I will be able to rec'v the real drug at no cost to me for 10 months.

I'm a little nervous because I've never done a clinical trial but I feel really good about this. I've rec'vd a lot of info from my dr about the trial and I want to do this. I've got a 50-50 chance to get a placebo and the real thing and I really want to be one of the patient who gets the real thing.

Wish me luck! :)

Hi Junebug, how is it going with the trial?

I feel bad for the ones who don't get the real thing, but I can see how necessary blind studies are. I hope you're doing well and check in soon. :)

I'm hoping this will work for you, too.

Are they keeping you on your old AED at the same time as giving the new one? Leaving someone who has TCs without medication doesn't seem safe. If on the old meds the placebo group would still have some protection.

Back
Top Bottom