Blood sugar testing for nocturnal seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Joby

New
Reaction score
Has anyone tested their blood sugar during a nocturnal seizure? If so, what type of apparatus do you use? It will have to be something that is not cumbersome, i.e. having to insert a strip, prepare the poking device, insert it in a machine, etc. Most of my seizures are within a 6-hr range after eating, e.g. dinner @6:30 - seizure around 12 Midnight - 1:00 am; dinner @ 8:00 seizure around 1:30 - 2:00 am. My husband and I are convinced my seizures are directly related to my blood sugar but need to test/document it. My neurologist poo-poo's the idea!

Sorry, I don't know of any blood testing apparatus that isn't cumbersome and accurate but I do know that many people suggest to epileptics (and diabetics) that they have 6 (or more) small meals in a day rather than 3 larger ones.

Whether you find a way to test your blood sugars or not, you may want to try that & see if it makes any difference in your seizures.

Thank you. I am a frequent eater throuhout the day but it seems 6-hrs is about my limit w/out food. I do think I need to confirm it so I can get some help in learning how to eat so I can have some control of them.

Like everyone else I get so disgusted with the medical field just shoving more pills at me.

Has anyone tested their blood sugar during a nocturnal seizure? If so, what type of apparatus do you use? It will have to be something that is not cumbersome, i.e. having to insert a strip, prepare the poking device, insert it in a machine, etc.

I have Type 1 diabetes along with epilepsy and have been asked by my endocrinologist to check my glucose every 4 hours during the night, so had to set my alarm in order to do so. I use the old system-- inserting a strip, poking myself, inserting it in the machine, etc. I was having to do this because my glucose kept falling dangerously low, especially during the night, but it didn't cause me to go into a seizure. I would wake up in a sweat and be shaky.

Maybe you can find a continual glucose monitoring apparatus on this website:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes.../continuous-monitors/compare-current-monitors

The problem with testing your blood sugar while having a seizure (or immediately after) is that seizures, as with other stresses to the body -- such as illness -- will raise your blood sugar.

Our son is on the ketogenic diet, and part of the regimen is to test his blod sugar at least once a day -- and yes, you're right, blood sugar does have a marked effect on seizures. Our son has good seizure control when his blood sugar is in the 60's and 70's -- when it gets into the 80's or higher we start seeing seizures. But...also...seizure have an effect (temporary) on blood sugar...so I suggest that if you typically have seizures at night that you test your blood sugar prior to going to bed each night -- to get a better reading, it's best to wait 2 hours after you eat.

You might also want to check your blood sugar upon awakening in the morning, prior to eating anything. Then you can establish a sort of a pattern -- first, you'll find what your typical blood sugar is, and whether you're having any issues with elevated blood sugar (over 100). Secondly, you'll discover whether an elevated blood sugar level at bedtime leads to a seizure. If you do find a relationship between the two, you'd want to reduce your carbs and high glycemic foods (esp. sugar, and white bread, rice, etc.) and maybe even start an Atkins like diet.

Blood sugar testing kits can be purchased over the counter, and you can consult with your local pharmacist as to which ones are easiest to use.

The two that we use are Freestyle Lite and Accucheck. I like Freestyle Lite better because the stick is easy to use and the puncture wound is smaller (it doesn't take as much blood) and it's easy to pop it into the test meter. The downside is that the test strips are really expensive. Accucheck is cheaper, but more cumbersome to use -- I find it really awkward.

Back
Top Bottom