Doctors Letter regarding stressors

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

behlen

New
Reaction score
Hello I have been on limictal and vimpat since june 21, 2010. I am a cadidate for a temporal lobe lobotomy. I have noticed that if I keep away from things that I know cause my seizures. For me that is lack of sleep and over exertion in the heat the meds work really well. I do not want the surgery as long I keep doing as well as I have been. My concern is that I am a firefighter, but have been working in an office job since seizures started and I have not been able to drive. Long story short I will begin to drive in 3 weeks. My Chiefs wants to keep me in the office but is concerned that when city council knows I can drive may want me back in station life. Which of course cause the two biggest stressors to my seizures, lack of sleep and working in the heat. Has anyone gotten a letter from their doctor for work stating that they avoid things that can cause the seizures. Any advise is appreciated.

I haven't got a letter stating that i should avoid triggers, but i do have a "fit note" from my doc saying that i can't do certain things because if i have a seizure it could hurt me or someone else.

Perhaps you could get something similar, saying that to do that part of your job could cause a seizure, putting yourself and your colleagues possibly at risk?

Yes, you can get a letter from your doctor. Per the ADA (Americans With Disabilities act) you have a right to reasonable accomodations. Staying away from heat & driving could be needed accomodations. But they could also say the requests are not reasonable, and they can't accomodate you, then you'd lose your job. I doubt they would do that since they've had you doing office work.

http://www.ada.gov/

I am not allowed to drive for my company, on company time. Never, ever. Even if the law says I can drive now. That was the company's decision, not mine. :(

I haven't a letter, either. However I am privileged to enjoy the best of both worlds - A Consultant who is eminently approachable, who listens to & discusses fully all my concerns regarding work, given that I'm in a high pressure environment and who would immediately & without question, compose such a letter to my employers were it necessary.

The reason it's not necessary is simply because my Corporate Director is a most concerned, caring and comforting individual whom I have known for many years, after she has "head-hunted" me to follow her to a variety of institutions.

As such she has always been around for me over the years, offering the same support & understanding as my Consultant.

Col.

Back
Top Bottom