Any connection between MS and brain surgery?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I started having CP seizures in my early 20's, gradually increasing to the point where I decided to have a left temporal lobectomy back in 1990. I was only seizure free for 14 months. When the seizures returned, they were CP, along with secondary TC, so we've tried multiple meds and have the VNS, which helps.

Now I'm having another symptom. I have these shooting pains up my legs and burning sensation on the bottom of my feet. Several weeks ago I had been sitting on the floor, legs crossed, cutting out a quilt pattern, and when I tried to rise, my legs collapsed, I couldn't stand and had to crawl to the sofa so I could stand. When I finally made it up, my thighs were on fire, as were the bottom of my feet. It felt like someone had suddenly lit a match and was holding it to my skin. It hurt to walk. I was that way for 4 days. I finally made it in to my dr. and she wants me to have a nerve conduction study done and possibly another MRI, also mentioned something about a connection between MS and the brain surgery I had back in 1990. I saw my endocrinologist also the day after and since I also have diabetes, he says it could be neuropathy, but to treat that disorder he would work closely with my neurologist and use AEDs to treat it. :(

Anybody have any thoughts on what it could be?

Cindy

Seizures can be a symptom of MS, but ordinarily MS-related seizures don't originate in the temporal lobe. I don't think there is any established causal link between temporal lobe brain surgery and MS. But, that said, you should definitely try and get your doctor to elaborate on what she meant.

Diabetes can cause neuropathy. Some AEDs, like Dilantin, can cause it too -- and then those same AEDS are used to treat/sedate the pain that flares up! Kind of insidious that way.

I do hope your docs can figure this out quickly, and make the pain go away.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom