Coping With Epilepsy Neurofeedback & Counseling Associates
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Las Vegas, NV and Denver, CO
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I think the Lamictal and everytime I have a seizure messes up my memory. I just had a seizure yesturday. I don't remember what I did. Also, I'm not sure if I had one this morning but after having seizures it's harder for me to concentrate or retain the information given to me. That's why I'm glad things are written down.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by suebear View Post:
From my knowledge.. there had been discovery about Lamictal after the fact. The new information about memory issues came about from patients who had been taking it over a period of time. As to the length I am unsure. The only persons who are aware of that information are medical professionals and persons who work in the pharmacy industry.

That type of side effect is something I would report to the drug manufacturer as well as your neurologist so they are aware of the matter.

It's amazing what doctors don't tell you or warn you of. I learned that you have to go in the doctors with a list of questions. In the past when I was on Tegretol I didn't know that it was the cause of my constipation and tiredness. The doctors would have saved me a lot of trouble if they would've told me that. I wouldn't have gotten in trouble as much as I did for being too tired to do my school work. I thought I was just a lazy child. Thank God for Internet now because we sometimes have to be our own doctors.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Originally Posted by Cordero View Post:
Yeah. I got a RNS device battery change. The recovery wasn't that bad. But I did get that dandruff or sebaceous acne stuff. I have been noticing that my memory has been getting worse. That might be because of the frequency of the seizures, though. Hopefully the device helps better control the seizures.
What is the RNS? I've heard of it but unaware of what it does. Glad to hear it is working well for you.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by suebear View Post:
What is the RNS? I've heard of it but unaware of what it does. Glad to hear it is working well for you.
RNS stands for Responsive Neurostimulator. It's a device as small as a one of those individual pink erasers. It has these electrodes or wires which are attached to the device and then attached to the area of the brain that the seizures are coming from. They implant the device between the brain and the skull. The device has a computer chip in it which senses any abnormal brain activity. When it senses a seizure trying to come on it sends stimulation to distract the nerves from setting off a seizure. It's definitely reduced them but my seizures aren't completely controlled. But even if I have one less seizure to worry about it was definitely worth getting it.

It's a study, so right now it's getting evaluated on whether or not that it would be approved and available to the public. The nice thing about it being a study is that I didn't have to pay for anything. When I saw the bill from the first time they implanted it the charge for the hospital stay, operating room, medicine, and etc. was about 84,000 before insurance coverage. It was all taken care of between my insurance and the company I did the study with. That didn't include paying the surgeon alone. Crazy huh?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Originally Posted by Cordero View Post:
RNS stands for Responsive Neurostimulator. It's a device as small as a one of those individual pink erasers. It has these electrodes or wires which are attached to the device and then attached to the area of the brain that the seizures are coming from. They implant the device between the brain and the skull. The device has a computer chip in it which senses any abnormal brain activity. When it senses a seizure trying to come on it sends stimulation to distract the nerves from setting off a seizure. It's definitely reduced them but my seizures aren't completely controlled. But even if I have one less seizure to worry about it was definitely worth getting it.

It's a study, so right now it's getting evaluated on whether or not that it would be approved and available to the public. The nice thing about it being a study is that I didn't have to pay for anything. When I saw the bill from the first time they implanted it the charge for the hospital stay, operating room, medicine, and etc. was about 84,000 before insurance coverage. It was all taken care of between my insurance and the company I did the study with. That didn't include paying the surgeon alone. Crazy huh?
That is fabulous! Thank you for providing me with the medical education on the RNS as I found it very educational and a new learning experience. The medical device sounds wonderful and it sounds as though it is something that has various stimulation settings that will work based on your needs which is a great thing. I am very excited for you and will keep a positive thought that all goes well as you move forward with this evaluation.
The Following User Says Thank You to suebear For This Useful Post:
Cordero (08-18-2012)