conflicting advice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mjstg

New
Reaction score
My psychiatrist has recommanded that I stopped taking epilim and replace it with topamax due to its adverse effects in regard to weight and liver function. However, when I went to see my neurologist the same day, he completely disagreed with that treatement.

So here's the question, who do I listen to ? neither is an epilepsy expert so neither advice carry much more weight then the other.

It is very difficult when your medical team is not on the same page. That is when you need to do some research and make the decision for your wellbeing. It wouldn't be so bad to get a third opinion either.

Any chance you CAN see an epileptologist? And in the meantime, as about having regular blood tests done to monitor for any liver damage due to the Epilim. Topamax comes with its own side effects (see http://www.epilepsy.com/medications/b_topamax_serious), so it's important that you discuss medication options with someone who knows what they're talking about.

My neurologist prescribes for epilepsy, have you tried making an appointment with him/her?
:)

Back
Top Bottom