cwe member about to be famous... my silver lining with E

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
a few weeks ago my epileptologist was asked by the VGH foundation if she had someone to recommend for their september campaign, someone with a surgery success story. she picked me, and emailed to ask my thoughts. stunned.
there's two parts, one is a two-page story about my surg, what the hospital has done for me, and fundraising.
the other is a video of me and my journey. gulp. i said yes to the article right away, but hesitated on the video, am quite shy on camera and didn't know if i could pick up my big girl panties enough to do it.
the hospital phoned last week and really want me to do both, if i was comfortable. they suggested the video being me with my epilepsy team (if they're avail), if that meant i was more comfy. had to answer by friday.

took it upon myself to msg my team and ask, and within 20 mins my neurosurgeon responded and said yes. that evening my epileptologist also said yes. so, i emailed the hospital friday and said i'd do it. IF...
-this campaign is entirely centered around BC's epilepsy team at vgh and mainly our seizure investigation unit (that's what i've been fundraising at home for and won't stop until we get two more beds - i'd say it's less than a year away). this e centre is the only one for adults in our province, and currently has only two beds, purely due to lack of funding.
-that i can thank whoever i desire in both the article and vid (much kudos coming to the team and my surgeon).
-that it puts my city on the map for being one of the few in the province that is fundraising for more SIU beds.

got a YES to everything. omg haha my 15 minutes of fame, this is so unreal. the video and story goes out to over 15,000 people across the province, 80 per cent are individual donaters and the rest are business and corp.
holy crap my hair better look great that day :bigsmile:

honoured. in shock. hope i can pull it off. hope i don't bawl too much, tho they want to see the emotion (this is going to drudge up some awful memories of 20 years with e). am so hopeful. if being this brave for a few hours (taping is two hours then the vid is cut down to five minutes) means i can help get that much closer to two more beds, i will find the strength, somewhere. deep in my gut and in my reshaped brain :)
these 2 beds will cut the waiting time for adults in BC w/epilepsy IN HALF. so... bright shiny camera here i come!

last year's story was of a fella that lives an hour from me, suffered from an aneurism. pls watch (and ladies grab the kleenex).
the day of my video i'll be one year and two days seizure-free, and it will be 'vghfoundation.ca/natashas-story/'

http://vghfoundation.ca/kurts-story/

Last edited:
Congrats, Qtown - I know you will be wonderful! :hugs: Dolores

Congrats!! So happy for you.:banana:

Can I have an autograph?

That's great news QTown, i beat you will be great.
Will you post the link on here once its done

:tup: eric... absolutely haha!

cq... i def will, comes out early september ;)

I'm sure you'll be a natural on screen... Very proud and excited for you!

qtowngirl

You are just right for the part, just make sure the pay is good.

Awesome qtg! Opportunities like this are rare. Congrats to you for having the courage to accept. It's not easy to step outside the comfort zone and put yourself out there like that. I hope it helps with the fundraising. What a nice legacy that would be. :)

*smile* thank you guys, so sweet.
am heading down on aug 3rd so when i get back and the vid is proofed and ready i'll put the link on here.
still am not in reality that this is about to happen...! ;)

Let us know if there is a link, so that we may smile.

What an awesome story! And it's inspiring for someone like me, trying to wrap her head around going "under the knife"!

well the nerves are sure flowing, leaving in two days.
a week ago it all started, had to do a 45-minute conference call with the hospital foundation, omg it was alot harder than i expected. the seizure memories drudged up were bitter and didn't make me feel very good, mentally or physically. bleh. taking painful things out of their storage box is not fun.
esp. when you're the one talking most of the time, and wasn't prepared to have 'an audience' (didn't know until a few hours before the call that it was a conference, never done that before :eek:). but, it's done and i gave 'em good stuff. now haha i'm about to do the same on video so am going to be pulling these big girl panties wayyyyyy up.

tonight i put together a cd of pre- and post-op pics for the shoot, they wanted a bunch so they can pick what to use with the video. now THAT was fun!
i'll put on the link as soon as i get the final. ahhhhh send me some luck (haha girls pull up your panties real high for me :roflmao:).

hugs and love, nat.

Qtown, Best of luck keeping those nerves under control :) As to the article and video, I know you will rock them! :rock:

I know we are all eagerly awaiting the link {{{ Hugs }}} Dolores

That's so cool Qtown. Congrats to you!!!

My neurosurgeon that operated on my back 3 years ago ask me 2 weeks ago if I would write a "Hope" story for their quarterly publication. He said they only ask patients that have had complex surgeries that turn out well to write an inspiring story.

I understand how you feel, it's really cool. Thankfully there's no video involved in my "Hope" story.

That's so cool Qtown. Congrats to you!!!

My neurosurgeon that operated on my back 3 years ago ask me 2 weeks ago if I would write a "Hope" story for their quarterly publication. He said they only ask patients that have had complex surgeries that turn out well to write an inspiring story.

I understand how you feel, it's really cool. Thankfully there's no video involved in my "Hope" story.

awesome!!! 'hope' how fitting... and mine is called 'giving'... they use good words ey?!

and :rock: oh c'mon don't you envy me sitting on camera?! :)eek: i'm sooooo nervous).

Back
Top Bottom