Epilepsy Monitoring Unit

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ems0160

New
Reaction score
So tomorrow I will be admitted and be in a epilepsy monitoring unit for idk how long..

Anyone here gone through it?

What to expect? And cam I bring stuff? Can I also smoke? Lol
Yeaj that's my biggest concern. Nyahaha
*ems0160*

I was in a clinic for just over a month starting this new years.
Just pack like you are going on holiday, you just need comfortable clothes, toiletries, meds and any food that you think you will want that they won't have. X

Also, yes I could smoke when I was at mine but you need someone to come out with you. X

Just pack like you are going on holiday, you just need comfortable clothes, toiletries, meds and any food that you think you will want that they won't have. X

I was in a seizure monitoring unit years ago, but like Zara said, pack comfy clothes, toiletries and your lap top. Are they taking you off your meds?

Can I also smoke? Lol
Yeaj that's my biggest concern. Nyahaha

Also, for anyone who has seizures and smokes, please seriously consider quitting, especially if you have little ones at home. No big deal at the hospital as someone is keeping an eye on you 24/7. But not at home. You could be holding a cigarette and go into a CP and burn the place down. Think of others.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/safety_smoking

Smoking contributes to the death of approximately 500,000 people each year from heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Smoking tobacco is not known to have any definite effects on seizure control. But persons with epilepsy are not only susceptible to all the usual effects of smoking, but also are at increased risk of injury or death from fire.

Consider what happened to an epilepsy patient and her daughter. The patient, a 35-year-old woman with absence and tonic-clonic seizures, shared an apartment with her lively 5-year-old daughter. One evening, the woman had a tonic-clonic seizure while smoking. When she awoke in the hospital, she had first-degree burns on a large part of her arms and body. Her daughter suffered severe smoke inhalation and brain damage. The girl, now 18 years old, is severely retarded, uses a wheelchair, and is in an institution. The woman stopped smoking and went through a long emotional process of dealing with what happened.

Unlike many other activities, smoking presents risks not only for the person with epilepsy, but also for others, who can be severely injured or killed. Therefore, any person with epilepsy who has episodes of impaired consciousness should stop smoking.

Trying to. But when I smokw I do it out on my patio where if I drop my cigs there is nothung that can cause fire (since its concrete)

*ems0160*

I just got out of the EMU a couple weeks ago and they allowed me to bring my laptop and anything else I needed to continue working. I was on video so I wasn't allowed to walk around or go outside, but was allowed to bring anything I wanted from home to make me more comfortable. If you bring comfortable shirts, make sure they button up because trying to pull off a t-shirt with electrodes on your head is a pain.

I found that dry shampoo was good for my VT too. After a week of unwashed hair it was just too much...

Just got back from EMU.. how the hell do you remove this nasty glue off your hair? Lol...

They said non acetone nail polish remover.how? I'm scared it will damage my hair.. blah washed my hair 3x...

*ems0160*

I only stayed for 3 days. Had 5 absence seizures and 1 tonic clonic..
They didn't even use any trigger.lol no lights or sleep deprivation

*ems0160*

Woohoo, you kicked butt! lol It's the only time we can cheer on the seizures haha Hopefully you don't feel too poorly, though. Good luck with the glue. When I got out I used baby oil and massaged it into the glue really good and it came out. If you don't have baby oil, any kind of oil will work even cooking oil.

Other than my whole body hurts and I'm exhausted as hell I'm fine.. glad to be home..

My bf was like "you know I love you and I really don't want you to have a seizure but it will be great if you do so they can figure out what is going on"

Lol

*ems0160*

Haha awe, what a sweetheart!! I hope you get to feeling better and get lots of rest tonight :) Big hugs!

Back
Top Bottom