10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Houston, TX
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
New Here

epilepsy from residual scar tissue on brain after brain surgery

hi
i have epilepsy 10 years from residual scar tissue on brain to remove a tumor from the pineal gland. Has anyone had a similar experience????

ill make appointment with my neurologist to see if im applicable but im considering surgery to remove the scar thus curing my epilepsy.

please check the link on my profile
Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,308 Times in 939 Posts
I would have thought that any brain operation would leave a scar the way removing your tumour left a scar.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,308 Times in 5,391 Posts
As Eric says, the process of removing the scar usually creates a new one, so it wouldn't necessarily cure your epilepsy. If you are referred to a neurosurgeon, ask a lot of questions -- make sure you find out what the risks are as well as the success rates.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,308 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakamova View Post:
make sure you find out what the risks are as well as the success rates.
When asking success rates make sure you know more than just percentages. Remember that two thirds could be just 2 out of 3 or 400 out of 600 and that makes a big difference in the validity of a study.

Also ask how long after the operation they stopped monitoring things & considered it a success. I saw a documentary where the doctor claimed a very high success rate (it may have even been 100) but they only monitored the patients until 6 months after the operation and many peoples troubles return after 6 months.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanked 1,303 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakamova View Post:
As Eric says, the process of removing the scar usually creates a new one, so it wouldn't necessarily cure your epilepsy.
Nak,
You & Eric have answered a question I've had friends wonder about for a while lol.

After I had my surgery I had a couple of friends ask me wouldn't the neurosurgeons have caused more scarring when they removed the original scarring on my brain & wouldn't the new scarring which would be from the neurosurgeons cause more seizures?

I assumed there would've had to have been a little scarring after the neurosurgeons removed the original scarring & the dead brain tissue. I don't know if the new scarring would cause seizures again & I always knew the surgery was another treatment to help with my seizures & not a cure so if I do have more seizures then that is a part of life.

One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day

Last edited by CQ:); 01-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Getting Comfortable

I was initially told I had epilepsy due to scar tissue from an old stroke. However, my diagnosis is now in question, which is a very long, and another story. (I still think I have epilepsy, but it may mixed with psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.) The bottom line, is that my neurologist told me scar tissue in a brain can, at times, cause seizure activity. It is not super common, and I have heard that sometimes surgery can fix it. There are always risks, so make sure you discuss with your doctor ask the pros and cons. I just know that seizures stink! Good luck with whatever you do or don't do.