Going I'm for surgery...in 1 hour.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

When I had my brain surgery YEARS ago, I spent about 5 days in the hospital after surgery. I had trouble with speech and memory. When my two kids initially came to visit me, I couldn't remember their names the first day after surgery. I thought OMG, what have we done!! By the time I went home my speech and memory did improve. The headaches improved after a few weeks. I couldn't stand being in bright lights or hearing loud noises for a while. Needed a few weeks of rest. Loud noises still disturb me to this day. And 20+ years later, I still have memory problems and suffer from aphasia (trouble finding words). Plus, like Belinda, my surgery wasn't successful. Oh well. Only time will tell.

I think you'll need to be patient Beano. As Cint and Bigman have mentioned, it can take a while to recover from the surgery itself, as well as to get a sense of any residual side effects. Here's hoping you continue to see steady progress. Your posts seem to show that your typing is getting back up to speed. :)

This is the way my insurance works. The insurance company depends on how long I get to stay in the hospital. When the insurance company will only pay so much, then the hospital will send you home.

Take time to get well. Don't try to hurry it. If you need rest, then rest.

Your writing is getting better. You are having improvements.

Your posts seem to show that your typing is getting back up to speed. :)

Your writing is getting better. You are having improvements.

I noticed this too. It seems like the words are coming more easily to you. You may not notice it or it may seem like it's taking forever from your POV, but you are making progress. Give it time and as Ruth said, rest.

Good Morning all,
Words are getting a little better, but it's because of the words I regularly use and typing online always helps with the spelling. I've made a few calls in regards to disability as well as a dishwasher service and my mind drew blanks. It is betting better. So this is day 9 from my surgery and I am feeling okay. I seem to have add because my dishwasher did die and I spent way too much time trying to fix it and hurting my body. The left side of my head is still huge and wet and makes noises if I do push in on it. When I wake up I'm still in pain and finally decided to take a few days to rest, but I offended the wife, which I am good at it, which I don't mean to be. I'm often quiet and when I say something I express too much! So when I wake up now, my body aches, my butt is numb, but once I take a small serving of Oxycontin and feel better. Now I'm actually smiling. Friends have been bringing by dinner each day, and I was going insane for a couple of days trying to fill out disability and FMLA for my work, my mind was just going blank. All seems to be well now and I'm gonna take a nap today. Sorry for expressing a bunch of noise and issues with me right now. Need not respond if it's too much. Hopefully my pain will lighten up and I'm thankful I have yet to have any seizures since coming home!

Leave the dishwasher be. People managed before they were invented somehow.

"The left side of my head is still huge and wet and makes noises if I do push in on it". So don't push in on it. Please.

Rest. Let yourself heal. And no need to apologize for sharing this. We do care.

Don't push yourself too hard. This was brain surgery! You need to heal at the pace your body dictates, not any sooner than that.

So this is day 9 from my surgery and I am feeling okay. I seem to have add because my dishwasher did die and I spent way too much time trying to fix it and hurting my body. The left side of my head is still huge and wet and makes noises if I do push in on it. When I wake up I'm still in pain and finally decided to take a few days to rest, but I offended the wife, which I am good at it, which I don't mean to be. I'm often quiet and when I say something I express too much! So when I wake up now, my body aches, my butt is numb, but once I take a small serving of Oxycontin and feel better. Now I'm actually smiling. Friends have been bringing by dinner each day, and I was going insane for a couple of days trying to fill out disability and FMLA for my work, my mind was just going blank. !

You need to rest, not fix the dishwasher. Did you call the doctor and tell him that one side of your head is huge and wet?

Don't push it in.

Let your friends take care of things.

:hugs:

Hi Beano,
Don't push yourself & give yourself time to recover. You may have headaches & the scarring may be sore for a little while, while your brain heals.

I had surgery on my left temporal lobe in 2011 & I had my surgery in the city which is 3 - 4 hours drive each way from where I live. When I had my surgery I spent 5 days in hospital then another 5 days in accommodation close to the hospital. I had to go back to the hospital 2 weeks after my surgery for my 2 week follow up with the surgeon, neuro & neuropsych. I then spent 6 weeks with my parents taking it easy, doing things when I felt up to it but my brain soon told me when I was doing too much.

Hope the rest of your recovery gos well.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever regretted having Brain surgery?

I did I didn't make the decision my mother did.

I'm sorry I ever had brain surgery I'd had been better off if mother No surgery had been done.Or if it had been done a lot earlier on me since it my sz's were on both lobes.

are you aware there is a new VNS that now has an auto stim that senses your heart rate when it changes? I just had the battery replacement installed last week. I'm actually going to be getting the auto stim turned on in two weeks as I didn't want it done after the battery replacement last week.

To answer your question about the brain surgery, I'm quite pleased to have the brain surgery done; I've lived with epilepsy since an infant and it was not until the age of 27 when someone discovered what was possibly going on and was willing to take a closer look at it. We finally found one of the issues at the time and I was seizure free for five years unfortunately break throughs took place in my unique case. But now matters have been resolved over time thanks to technology and research.

Back
Top Bottom