Coping With Epilepsy Matthew's Friends
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Happy with my year old Neuropace device

Just an update on my RNS for anyone with interest: The responsive neurostimulator I had placed in my skull last year seems to be helping with seizures that impair consciousness. It has not controlled my seizures. I still have them, but they are less.

Looking at my seizure diary from 1998 onward, Levetiracetam and Topiramate definitely helped after Dilantin stopped working. Now it looks like I have less complex partial seizures. We will wait a while, maybe another six months to a year, and see that this is consistent, as my seizures can come in spurts. I wish I would have kept a diary from the beginning.

I am happy to have the continual eeg monitoring of Neuropace. This has helped my medical team see that my simple partial seizures can be so incredibly long (status of greater than 24hrs), especially after a complex partial seizure during the night. They recognized this pattern of mine and suggested when to take lorazepam. (I stopped taking this medication quite sometime ago as I had become used to these seizures.) I hope this will help with my memory. That would be so incredibly nice.

I haven't/didn't notice any "adverse side effects" after this surgery besides the new topography of my skull.

No matter where I find myself, I am the navigator, and happiness my desired permanent position.
Epilepsy, Type 1 Diabetes and Hashimotos at times interferes with this location.
Family and Friends help with calibration.

I almost always play the devil's advocate and turn conversation to debate. It is helpful to remain silent so often. I cannot do this with myself. My idea of heaven is absence of thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to DayDreamer For This Useful Post:
seizuregirl (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,341 Times in 5,421 Posts
Thank you for the update on how you are faring with the RNS. I hope that you can continue to find ways to reduce your seizures.