I had surgery in 2010. Ask me anything.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BethD

New
Reaction score
I have had 2 breakthrough seizures since then...both when I didn't stay hydrated or sleep enough.It is good to talk about what to expect.Ask me anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have had 2 breakthrough seizures since then...both when I didn't stay hydrated or sleep enough.It is good to talk about what to expect.Ask me anything.

What will you do if your seizures do return eventually?

Cont
On my epilepsy unit,we sometimes see people who have had part of the temporal node removed,only to have scar tissue that evokes seizures.I suppose I would get an ablation.

Cont
On my epilepsy unit,we sometimes see people who have had part of the temporal node removed,only to have scar tissue that evokes seizures.I suppose I would get an ablation.

:ponder: Back in 1990, I had a left temporal lobectomy (whatever they call it now) and was only seizure-free for 14 months. Then in 1997, I had the VNS put in because the scar was deep in my hippocampus and the surgeon didn't want to go there. Glad I didn't let him.
That is why I ask others who've had surgery.

Hi Beth
Welcome to the group
I had left temporal Lobectomy in 2011, I was 2 years seizure free but the seizures returned in 2013.
They started of as 'funny feelings' but a VEEG later confirmed it was focal seizures.

My seizures aren't as bad or as often as they were pre surgery.
In all honesty I'd really have to think about it if the topic of another surgery came up, theyd have to be really bad to go down that path.
I am glad I had my surgery but it did mess my head up with a couple of things as well which I saw a psychologist for who helped me deal with.

Hi Beth
Welcome to the group
I had left temporal Lobectomy in 2011, I was 2 years seizure free but the seizures returned in 2013.
They started of as 'funny feelings' but a VEEG later confirmed it was focal seizures.

My seizures aren't as bad or as often as they were pre surgery.
In all honesty I'd really have to think about it if the topic of another surgery came up, theyd have to be really bad to go down that path.
I am glad I had my surgery but it did mess my head up with a couple of things as well which I saw a psychologist for who helped me deal with.
I saw a psychiatrist weekly for over a year when I returned to work. My filter was gone and my employers didn't like pure,unadulterated truth. Now,that I wasn't having seizures,my awareness was superintense.I became very depressed,worried I would never be able to function normally again. The left side is much more involved in mood,guilt. I make sure my patients realize that this is something they need to watch for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My issue is over thinking, I over analyse every situation which got worse, after the seizures returned.
I didn't start seeing a psychologist until 4 years after surgery to help me deal with the overthinking and give me tools to cope better with stress. I've always had issues dealing with stress so it was good to learn how to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom