Looking ahead to surgery, but fear is setting in.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Just a little sunburn on my hands. lol

The main thing was I was able to get out there. :)

Now that my seizures seem to be at bay (knocking hard on wood), I'll should be able
to go more often.

Wishing you luck on the future fishing trips!! Have you gone out since your 26 month seizure free fishing trip?

And, congrats on 27+ months seizure free :)

Wishing you luck on the future fishing trips!! Have you gone out since your 26 month seizure free fishing trip?

And, congrats on 27+ months seizure free :)

Thx, :)

I'm hoping to get out later this week weather permitting. If not, next week.

27 months+ and counting. :)

No seizures :), just had a bad headache these past few days. :(
This 85-90 degrees hits me hard.

I have been using the psyllium fiber for about two weeks. It seems to help "some",
but I could have more improvement. Hopefully when I see the nutritionist next month,
I'll get the help need.

When I first started using psyllium I did the mistake of putting heaps on top on the cereal... did I get a shock lol... was told initially it provides the "bulk" but I did not get warned I only needed small amounts.
:)

Utilize the nutritionist for recipes and food ideas. You can get creative and modify to what suits you as you learn what stuff works for your digestion.

I've been taking a teaspoon mixed with water each morning. As the instructions stated 2 hours before or after any meds. I chose after to make things easier on my schedule.
So far so good.

I'll stick with this routine until I see the nutritionist. Then I'll make adjustments if needed.

Recipes and food ideas
is something I could use. Hopefully something reasonable, that won't break the bank.

I'll stick with this routine until I see the nutritionist. Then I'll make adjustments if needed.

Are you seeing a nutritionist or a dietician? A dietician has more advanced education: must successfully complete a 4 year university bachelors degree which teaches science as well as practical based application of diet knowledge and also complete a 1-year carefully regulated internship before being certified, A nutritionist only needs a science-based high-school education, complete as little as 6 months of an unregulated training program and complete an often unregulated 1-year training program and while they require 50 "internship" hours what is taught during this internship is not regulated.

A dietician would be in a position to have better knowledge as how to factor in your medications to decisions and recommendations she may have.

Just my input, Bigman :) Of course, cost factors into all this as well with a dietician often (but not always) costing more.

I believe it's a nutritionist. Insurance/referrals make it a pita to select and choose.
They typically go for the cheaper choice first.

So I will see what this person can do. Every "book" deserves a chance. lol

Its about you investigating what exactly is going to work for you BM and will the food and nutrients benefit your tum.

Glad I had the surgery. Seems to be a success. :)

Regret not having it sooner. :( All my other health problems seemed to be all linked to my years on many AEDs.

rbyulv.png

Months going strong without a seizure. :)

Now if the Nutritionist I'm supposed to see this week can help me, I'll be golden.

But that is a long shot.

Awesome BigMan! Good luck with the nutritionist.

That's fantastic BIGMAN! Yes, as Nakamova says, I hope the nutritionist gives you some helpful information.

What health problems did you have

Like many of us several.

But my main battle currently is: Ulcerative Colitis (UC) & Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Which is a result of side effects caused by AEDs: Depakote, Topamax, Zarontin, Zonegran, Keppra

Those AEDs caused me severe stomach and groin pain. Along with bouts of diarrhea and constipation. That also effected my weight fluctuation.

I hope the Nutritionist I will be seeing can help me with a game plan to alleviate some of the UC & IBS problems. If needed I may even seek out a Dietitian.

Well I seen the nutritionist yesterday. It was a late day appt. :( Which is usually a pain to get to. But this place does bariatric / nutrition. Morning appts. are for bariatric patients.

I arrived early to fill out all the required paperwork. Check-in staff was pleasant and friendly. The nurse took me in about half hour later than my scheduled time. :( This nurse was also pleasant and friendly. Took my height/weight, and usual vitals. After going over the basics of my visit, the nurse went to confer with the nutritionist. I waited for another half hour before the nutritionist came in. :( But at least I got an apology for the long wait. :)

After going over my info. The nutritionist went over the FODMAPS diet more clearly with me. Explaining that the FODMAPS diet is scientific guide.

IE: Foods in column A scientifically shouldn't bother you.
Foods in column B scientifically might bother you so limit.
Foods in column C scientifically will bother you so avoid.

The nutritionist also explained how this sparingly. Don't eliminate foods too fast. Or I will be left nothing to eat. lol Try adjust the amount of a problem food, how it's prepared, when I eat it. If it still bothers me, then eliminate it. :)

I was also told that my body might also be hypersensitive when eating at times. Just eating may cause my body discomfort. :( But that is a long term issue I'll need to work through.

We also discussed about increasing the psyllium fiber gradually, afterwards. But that is after I give the FODMAPS diet a run for a while.

Overall I believe this appt to the nutritionist was very productive. :)

If the gastroenterologist would've explained the FODMAPS to me properly two months ago I'd be in a better situation.

Now I have a little less stress in my life after this appt. :)

Back
Top Bottom