Looking ahead to surgery, but fear is setting in.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Glad to hear the good news!! I always like to hear good news.

Have fun this summer.:hi5:

I love hearing good news too. :) I've had plenty of the bad news over the years. :(
But I been through the Epilepsy battles. I got my battle scars to show for it. No purple heart needed, I have my purple ribbon. Maybe now I could turn my purple ribbon into necktie and wear it while I work in a new career. :)

I'm hoping to get some needed fishing time this summer. :)

I hope your summer is fun too! :)

It's great to hear how well you're doing. Keep up the good work!

thx, :)

The past few days have been :) & :( Overall I was feeling good. The :( was because CWE site was down. This week is looking up now. :)

Two months post surgery, and everything looks good. :)

All the pain is gone! I still have a tiny bit of swelling around my jaw. But it feels good.
Once that bit of swelling goes away I will officially start my two-year countdown. :)

Two months post surgery, and everything looks good. :)
All the pain is gone! I still have a tiny bit of swelling around my jaw. But it feels good.
Once that bit of swelling goes away I will officially start my two-year countdown. :)

c'mon friend! that countdown started as of the day after surgery :) you're at two months sz-free already... one year and 10 months to go :bigsmile:

Technically yes, but I prefer waiting until I'm completely "healed" from the actual surgery.

That would give my brain a better chance. :)

Three months post surgery, and everything still looks good.
That tiny bit of swelling around my jaw is still around. But it feels good.
My PCP said it looks ok, and it will take some time. He's glad I dropped
25lbs, so am I. :) I'll be seeing my Neurologist in a couple weeks.

If I just get rid of this little cold I picked up, I'd be great. :)

I had a followup with my Neurologist. He was on his best behavior this time. My healing looks good so far. Just need to wait for my jaw muscle to settle down. No change in my Rx, usual followup appointment setup. We just got to wait and see. He even mentioned
about a possible life after "no seizures". I mentioned a few ideas. He was glad I was staying positive and looking ahead. So overall a good appointment. :)

Hi Bigman,

Glad your appt went well & your recovery has been going so well.

Four months post surgery today, and everything is still staying on track. :)
That tiny bit of swelling around my jaw is still around. But that may
take a few more months. Everyone is different in that process.

I started going to a local gym last week. I've lost about 8lbs already. :) My goal
is to drop down to a realistic 225lbs. So far so good. :) I just want to become a better version of myself.
I wouldn't mind having a build like Hugh Jackman or Jason Statham. :) I think the ladies would like too. lol

Congrats on the continued progress and good health!

10/13 - Five months post surgery, and that train is still on track.
That tiny swelling around my jaw is still around. :( But that takes time.

My better version of myself is slowly appearing. :) Sticking to my weekly gym routine.
I'm eating as healthy as I can. Even my IBS has been in more control lately. :)
So I don't need to take as much meds. for that. :)

Now that helps me feel a lot better. :)

That's great news! Did your docs say why the jaw swelling is slow to disappear?

That's great news! Did your docs say why the jaw swelling is slow to disappear?

Thx. :)

It's the muscle that connects the jaw. Here is a picture I found that I can use to explain with. **note this picture isn't me, I'm just using it for reference**
123o4ex.jpg

The location is just in front of my right ear. There's no pain, it just looks uneven. My doc
said it will go down some. But it will probably be a slight symmetry issue. My right side will look a bit more puffy. He told me some people that a vain (my word), opt to have filler to even out there looks. IMO if that's my only issue as long as I don't have any more seizures, I'm fine with that. :)

Hey Bigman,

I know exactly where you are coming from as I had surgery 6 months ago. They removed my left hippocampus along with 5.5cm of my left temporal lobe. Ever since then I have not had a seizure. I am still on my meds, however they are currently taking me off the keppra.

When I had my surgery I was awake, and even though this hurt more and I heard sounds I never want to hear again, I am so happy I made this decision. My surgeon originally wanted me asleep for the procedure, but there was a better chance of me seizure free if I was awake so he could remove as much as possible. Originally he wanted to remove 3.5cm, but since I chose to stay awake, he removed 5.5cm. This has given me a better chance of seizure freedom.

I hope your recovery is going well!

Kate

Last edited:
When you are in for the surgery, they will put your head in this support system that all I can think of to explain it is like a Christmas tree stand.

:roflmao: ain't that the truth!!!

good to hear it turned out well K, feels so good doesn't it?!
our story is so similar, from being on the left, to the hippocampus (my amygdala too), to taking more out and the surgery being longer, to the headaches, and yay going back to work!

in 14.5 months i've had a few simple partials (used to have 100 per year or more), and am on day 476 grand mal free :rock:

all the best in your seizure freedom, will be thinking of you.
hugs, nat.

oh and bigman, no worries about the swelling and other oddities, you're a soldier and have battle wounds! and you are right, symmetrical 100% isn't going to come back, it will always 'stand out,' however it's really only noticeable to us b/c we look at it so often. we're gorgeous!

:hugs:

Last edited:
haha seen ya changed it; that 'christmas tree stand' was hilarious!!

Back
Top Bottom