low energy.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

truegrit

Stalwart
Reaction score
I just had RTL surgery last month. There was a minor complication that extended the hospital stay. Now that I'm home though I find that I'm sleeping in and don't have as much energy as before. How long did it take before you got your energy back after surgery.

I ended up staying in hospital for afew weeks, again due to complications.
Your muscles weaken having been in hospital/in bed for soo long, and it will take time for your muscles to strength back up.
Your energy SHOULD slowly return.

If you're finding there's no slow progress, you're best getting some professional advice.

I asked the doctor when she called to check on me a couple weeks ago.
She said I could expect at least 6 weeks before I start feeling like my old self.
I see her on Monday for my 6 week check so we'll see what she thinks then

After getting out of hospital, I couldn't believe the lack of energy I had. Walking up my stairs required me to have a nap. As I said, as time went by Q athings improved until I was back to full fitness.

Hi truegrit,

I had the same type of surgery as you and I was wiped out for about 2 months then when I got back to work I had more energy. My Dr. told me what took all the energy out of me was the surgery itself. I was in surgery at least for 8 hrs. that's another reason why it took longer for me to get the energy back. I hope all is going well and I wish you only the best. God Bless You!

73's
Sue KB2TTN

It sounds like you'll feel more energetic if you give it some time truegrit.

It also might not hurt to check your diet -- make sure it's balanced. If it's okay to take vitamins, you might consider a B-complex supp or just B12, as well as Vitamin D. And if you can get a a daily "dose " of nature -- a short walk, or even just sitting outside to get a little sunlight and fresh air -- it can have real physical benefits in terms of healing and stress reduction.

Thanks Nakamova,you're right I've started getting out a little bit and my energy is coming back. Now my sleep schedule is off so I need to work on that.

Hi EmmaObama,

I had right temporal surgery but my surgeon told me it would only reduce my seizures 50-60% and it was well worth
it. The reason why my seizures were only reduced is because it was to risky to remove all of the scar tissue without me
going blind or becoming paralyzed but in the long run I'm happy with the way things are I went from having 300 seizures
a yr. to at the most 114 seizures and that was do to a lot of stress when my parents split up. Look into gamma knife
surgery that is very safe and it can be done the same day and you go home unless you receive to much radiation then
you may have to stay overnight. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm almost 18 months post-surgery. I'm still seizure-free. Last week I got
my driver's license back after 20 years without it. I can honestly say I feel better
than I have in 20 years. physically and mentally.

I'm almost 18 months post-surgery. I'm still seizure-free. Last week I got
my driver's license back after 20 years without it. I can honestly say I feel better
than I have in 20 years. physically and mentally.
Hi True Grit
Great news about still being seizure free and congratulations on getting your licence back.

So happy for you, hope you are able to remain seizure free

How is Bigman? is he still seizure-free?
He hasn't posted an update on his page for a few months when I think he was 6 years seizure free but haven't seen anything about the seizures returning either.
So hopefully he is still going well.

Back
Top Bottom