Lumbar-peritoneal shunt

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Has anyone here had an LP Shunt (Lumbar-peritoneal shunt)? for any disorder - hydrocephalus, IIH, etc. It is a shunt that drains CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) from the brain, down into the abdomen.

What has your experience been like, both before and after surgery? Is your Shunt working? Did it work first try?

Most of what I've heard about it is bad. But I know it's not all bad. It has a 50% success rate. But that doesn't count how many people suffer from horrible side effects afterwards. So I don't know what to think.

It's really early in the process, but my neuro has been talking shunt for my IIH. I told him "no way," but I'm still trying to learn about it. If my vision continues to get worse, when it reaches a certain point I may not have a choice. A shunt will be needed to lower the CSF pressure in my brain to save my vision. I'll just have to do it. (Blindness is one of the potential results of IIH)

Like I said, I think I'm a long way away from this. But I'm also reading from others that you can be fine one moment, then blind the next, so I want to be prepared with the knowlege I need.

Anything anybody who has had one - your input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom