My battery needs to be changed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
I feel so weird telling people that. It's so embarrassing. I feel like a robot because I have the Neurostimulator implant and it's time for a battery change. Is that weird telling people that?

I have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator and within the next year I, too, will be needing a battery change again. This will be my 2nd battery. I don't feel weird at all telling people about it. For me, having a TC seizure (or a CP, for that matter) is much more embarrassing than telling people about my my VNS and needing a new battery. Some friends jokingly call me the bionic woman.

I have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator and within the next year I, too, will be needing a battery change again. This will be my 2nd battery. I don't feel weird at all telling people about it. For me, having a TC seizure (or a CP, for that matter) is much more embarrassing than telling people about my my VNS and needing a new battery. Some friends jokingly call me the bionic woman.

I got called that by Katie Couric and my husband one time. I never seen the show but I'd like to look it up when I've the chance.

I feel so weird telling people that. It's so embarrassing. I feel like a robot because I have the Neurostimulator implant and it's time for a battery change. Is that weird telling people that?

I actually consider myself the bionic woman. Why, because not only do I have a VNS I also have a Deep Brain Stimulator which actually manages and has been programmed to control my seizures so well. The VNS has been turned down extremely low and my medicine dosage is very low.

When I had the DBS installed, I actually had the VNS replaced as I needed the newer version so it is smaller with the newer technology version.

You might think it is odd but if you wish, you could always consider yourself unique because what you have inside of you makes you very special as it controls your epilepsy and you control it. Make sense?

Keep a positive outlook and you'll do fantastic!

Vns

Anybody recently been implanted with the VNS?
It was mentioned to me by my neurologist because on 4 drugs I am still having seizures. Not often but she handed me a dvd on VNS.
I don't know of any MD's who are using this device in Canada, although I found 3 paediatric surgeons in London Ontario.
More info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Deeds

deeds,

I was recharged (had a new one implanted) on Oct 2011 after discovery was made that my older version was going down and it would be better for me to be updated.

What I can tell you is the device is something that works in conjunction with medication as it will allow doctors to lower your dosage once they have found a comfortable setting that works for you specifically. The great thing about the VNS, there are various programming options the doctor can choose from that will fit you. Pending upon your needs will determine how the VNS will be set.

There actually is a website that explains how the VNS works as well. I believe it is called VNS Message Board and it will provide all of the information you are seeking about this particular item as well as give you information on someone who can be available to speak with in your area.

Deeds,

I've had the VNS now for 12 years and have had the battery replaced once and am due for another one soon. It has been a lifesaver for me but, it works well for some, not so well for others, as they will tell you on the VNS Message Board. You can go to the www.cyberonics.com website for more info. Or check this out: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/VNS

Actually I thought like that at first but you know after I spoke with someone at the hospital (an RN) she made me giggle after her statement. She saw my scar when it was still pink shortly after the surgery and stated to me how well I looked which made me feel good. What really made me feel good was when she called me a bionic woman!

The more I got the thinking about it, knowing that now I have the VNS and how well it works to control what it is supposed to do because I can do a lot more especially now I really do not have a problem and I don't mind talking about it. I had my VNS surgery originally done in 2007 and I had the new replacement of an upgrade done in Oct 2011; the same time I had the DBS installed for my Epilepsy so I am really a bionic woman now. =)

My point is, if it wasn't for the VNS I would not be able to move forward. Why I needed the DBS is due to the fact my Epilepsy is deep inside my brain and the only way it could of been gotten to is with something else, hence the Deep Brain Stimulator. We were able to make it work and now I am doing fantastic! :woot:

The VNS does work in marvelous ways for many patients and I have spoken to many who have been able to do fabulous things once recovered from the surgery. I think it is okay to be hesitant and unsure but you will find that over time all of that will eventually disappear and you will ease as your body heals. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom