Occipital lobe surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
With my constant simple and complex partials, I went to my neuro in search of new meds. I had my Depakote swapped out for pregabalin, which I'm happy about as Depakote was messing with my hormones. However, when I asked for a longer-acting benzo than lorazepam, my neuro said that he'd consider surgery to be the next step, and took me off the lorazepam. I've had to fall back on a stockpile of loraz as rescue medication.

Before they consider me for further meds changes (there's been talk of swapping Lamictal with Tegretol or Keppra) or surgery, the neuro dept wants inpatient EEG telemetry (which I'd rather not do until my exams are over, as I need the time to study) and another MRI.

I've read a couple things about occipital lobe surgery, and apparently it's hell for your peripheral vision. That I don't want.

Has anyone here had occipital lobe surgery? Do you think it's worth it for complex partials?

Has anyone here had occipital lobe surgery? Do you think it's worth it for complex partials?

I have not had any kind of brain surgery and my seizures are not occipital lobe. However, as far as whether surgery is the right answer, only you can answer than. Ask yourself what is easier to live with - the potential side-effects of the surgery, or continued seizures. If you have run out of medications to try and the seizures continued to be uncontrolled and interfere with your life, perhaps the risk of surgery is one you want to take. On the other hand if there are still medication options and the seizures do not (in your own opinion) interfere with your life too greatly, then you may want to try more medications first. I know they say that after the first two medications the chances of finding one that works is limited, but this is not always the case. In my case it was about the 7th or 8th medication combination that finally brought about some degree of improvement.

Can't give you first hand experiences either. Sorry.
But I did want to say this. You have an exceptional talent when it comes to writing. Think long and hard before you put that talented brain under a knife. Would your gift still be there afterward?
Surgery should not be the "go-to" option that some doctors are pushing these days. It should be the last ditch, "everything else has failed and I can't take it anymore" option.

I've read a couple things about occipital lobe surgery, and apparently it's hell for your peripheral vision. That I don't want.

I didn't have occipital surgery, but left temporal lobe surgery. I was having 4-6 CP seizures a day when I decided to have the surgery. I was only seizure-free for 14 months, then they came back with vengeance. After surgery, the seizures came back as secondary generalized TCs. I've gone thru about 12 drugs and now have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator to help control my seizures. The VNS has helped but doesn't stop the seizures completely.

So, 1) how many CP's are you having?
2) do you want to inflict vision impairment?
3) Remember, there is NO going back after BRAIN surgery

If I had known before surgery what I know now, no way would I have had it done. Think L-O-N-G and HARD before going under the knife!

Back
Top Bottom