Periodontal issues

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if there are any others who have experienced this and how they have fought their way through it.

I've just recently gotten the tooth removed and slowly recovering. Now it is a matter of when I want to move forward with phase 2 which is this periodontal cleaning. I'm not thrilled with the idea since it will be done in two parts = two visits = rolls eyes. :twocents:

I am just staying focused on work and trying not to think about it. I did want to raise the question as I have mentioned above because this is an issue that came about due to the epilepsy medication and I do have a concern. I appreciate everyone who provides their feedback on this matter.

Regards,
Sue

I presume you are referring to a "deep" cleaning. I inherited bad teeth and haven taken measures which have helped. I have two dental tools (one which my dentist gave me), a probe (?) and an explorer. I recently had inflammation by a molar, and I took care of it by inserting the explorer between the tooth and the gums and scraping the tooth, like in a periodontal cleaning. I flossed the area, and brushed, following the cleaning. I then rinsed with salt water and/or an alcoholic mouth rinse. I did this twice, and the area is healed now. I also like to rinse my mouth after meals with water. I will search my teeth and gums with the explorer for "pockets" or decay, and keep it in mind for the next time I see the dentist.

It may take a while to "see" into your mouth without seeing (which is the way I do it now), but it gets easier tooling after a while. Your hygienist will have less work.

I get regular (non-periodontal) cleanings every 6 months. My hope is that if I do start to have periodontal issues they will be caught early. I hope the periodontal cleanings goes well. My understanding is that w. periodontal disease, frequent cleanings are important to control any damage and prevent additional damage.

I presume you are referring to a "deep" cleaning. I inherited bad teeth and haven taken measures which have helped. I have two dental tools (one which my dentist gave me), a probe (?) and an explorer. I recently had inflammation by a molar, and I took care of it by inserting the explorer between the tooth and the gums and scraping the tooth, like in a periodontal cleaning. I flossed the area, and brushed, following the cleaning. I then rinsed with salt water and/or an alcoholic mouth rinse. I did this twice, and the area is healed now. I also like to rinse my mouth after meals with water. I will search my teeth and gums with the explorer for "pockets" or decay, and keep it in mind for the next time I see the dentist.

It may take a while to "see" into your mouth without seeing (which is the way I do it now), but it gets easier tooling after a while. Your hygienist will have less work.

I am referring to an actual cleaning that is done by the dental hygenist themselves.... not a cleaning that is done by me. I have a tooth cleaning item which I purchased awhile back but at this time I am not using it because I just had oral surgery. At this time it is not a good idea because too much pressure will do severe damage.

I get regular (non-periodontal) cleanings every 6 months. My hope is that if I do start to have periodontal issues they will be caught early. I hope the periodontal cleanings goes well. My understanding is that w. periodontal disease, frequent cleanings are important to control any damage and prevent additional damage.

Thanks Naka...

Many moons ago I was on heavy doses of epileptic medication and because of it the gums have been damaged. Now it is a matter to attempt to bring them back to some health and attempt to keep them in that form.

I'm looking into periodontal cleaning further but not going to even consider it until I feel confident enough after this tooth extract that just took place. :twocents:

I have had deep periodontal cleaning a couple of times in the past few years. It is also referred to as "the gum flap procedure" (nice phraseology?!). The dentist carefully slices the gum over the tooth area that needs to be cleaned, cleans it, then stitches the gum back down. Everything is frozen when the procedure is done of course, and while you are given certain precautions regarding cleaning and eating for the next few days I have found it surprisingly painless. Definitely not a procedure to be feared based on my experience, and greatly improves dental health.

Back
Top Bottom