PET Scan(Positron emission tomography)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Screamy

New
Reaction score
How many of you have had this test done? I was in the hospital for a week, found out the epilpesy has spread to another part of my brain, so now they injected me with radioactive material to see what else they can find before cutting open my head!

I had a PET scan among other tests before having brain tumor resection surgery in 2009. They told me not to eat anything for like 18 hours before, then when I got there they said,"Oh, you didn't have to do that for a PET of the brain."---Gee, thanks:p

Anyway, when will you get the results? Are you sure you'll be having surgery?

Not sure when, I already turned down surgery 2 years ago when the surgeon was around 70 and his hands were shaking when he was writing and talking to me. Still waiting to hear about the scan, calling doc on Monday. Surgery is next on list though!

I don't blame you for turning down surgery before. Shaking hands is not a good thing in a neurosurgeon, yikes! But the man who performed my surgery was, honest to God, 83 years old. My local neurosurgeon swore that this 83 year old was the best man for the job. I decided to at least meet with him, and was immediately impressed. Can't say I wasn't a little worried, but he was considered one of the most brilliant surgeons of his time, and even at 83 could outperform surgeons less than half his age. But that's the thing, YOU have to have confidence in your surgeon. I hope you find someone you really like and trust:)

I'm feeling lazy; is that the same as a SPECT?

(For "lazy", read tired and pre-ictal, so am looking for an easy answer, where I don't have to look it up myself...)

Anyway, I've had a SPECT scan, and it was dead easy. Easier than my MRI, and a lot quicker!

The PET scan measures emissions from radioactively labeled chemicals that have been injected into the bloodstream and uses this info to produce two or three-dimensional images of the distribution of the chemicals throughout the brain. The greatest benefit of PET scanning is that it can can show blood flow and oxygen and glucose metabolism in the tissues of the working brain. These measurements reflect the amount of brain activity in the various regions of the brain. The biggest drawback of PET scanning is that because the radioactivity decays rapidly, it is limited to monitoring short tasks. Since fMRI technology came online, PET is no longer the preferred method of brain imaging, but it can still play a role, especially when considering surgery.

SPECT is similar to PET. It also uses radioactive tracers and a scanner to to construct two- or three-dimensional images of active brain regions. SPECT tracers are considered to be more limited than PET scanners in the kinds of brain activity they have the ability to monitor, and the he resolution of a SPECT is poor compared to that of PET. The tracers of SPECT are longer lasting than those of PET, which allows for different, longer lasting brain functions to be examined, but this also means that it takes more time for the SPECT to be run. SPECT is often chosen over PET simply as a cost issue, for less equipment is involved and fewer staff are required to do it.

Thanks, Nak.

Screamy, all I can remember of my SPECT scan is that I was left to relax in a quiet room for a couple of hours (they were running late), prior to my scan. When I was in the scanner, they repeatedly told me to relax, but I couldn't (maybe my tapping feet gave me away?).

I don't remember being given any tasks, but they may have done. I was lying down, just like a CT or MRI scan, and at some point had the radioactive stuff injected. Before the scan, I think, but it was a year ago, so I can't remember that well.

I know they were measuring blood flow in my temporal lobes, which came back as "poor".

Good luck with your PET, Screamy.

Thanks Chel, have already had the test done just wanted to see how many others have had it done, but they did tell me to lie there for quite a while and think of peaceful things and places, I just went to sleep, cannot get more relaxed than that eh! Thanks Everyone, all info helps, waiting to have the electrodes buried in my brain now, I am glad if I need help and support I found the right place!

Let us know how it goes Screamy.

I just went to sleep, cannot get more relaxed than that eh! Thanks Everyone, all info helps, waiting to have the electrodes buried in my brain now, I am glad if I need help and support I found the right place!

I was all nice and relaxed until they came in to inject me with the radioactive solution and they sat that lead container on the counter with a very impressive clunk . It really hit me then that it wasn't just saline solution they were putting in me:eek:

Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going. And yes, we are here to help and support:)

I will, thanks everyone, going to see family doc tomorrow for other problems but will ask about pet scan since neuro has not gotten back to me yet. And since I'm here 12 hours a day, you'll get an update as soon as I do!

Back
Top Bottom