Possible future after seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
Although I'm still having seizures, I'm looking ahead. I would like to get ready for the possibility of being "seizure free". I been disabled because of my seizures for over 10yrs.
My seizures has made it dangerous for me to do any kind of work. :(

What I would like to know is how long would it be before Disability deems me Non-disabled?
That's assuming the surgery, recovery, etc all goes well. From what information I can gather it could be something like this possible ex:

Surgery Jan (2014), Recovered from Surgery by Mar (2014)
Mar (2015) if no seizures, start reducing AED
by Mar (2017) if no seizures, off all AED
Mar (2018) no seizures, no AED
Back to school / work or something?

If that is a reasonable timeline? If so, I could deal with that.
Anything sooner than that would cause me lots of stress, and bring on seizures.

I would appreciate input from anyone that has been in the same situation. :)

That is a very tricky question. "disability" is a complicated term. some variables may include things like; what kind of surgery are you planning? Do you have a doctor? If seizures are continuing when you are on the high amounts of meds, it could be the wrong stuff? Just saying. I am NOT a doc, I just find it curious. Have you been able to consult a good physician ??

You could check with your state and federal disability benefits office. I think the basic disability criteria are:

-- You may not earn $1,040 or more a month from working.
-- Your condition must be expected to last at least 12 months, and
-- Your condition must have a severe impact on your ability to work.

Your doctor's report would have the greatest impact. Your doc might not feel comfortable giving the "all-clear" until you hit the 12 month seizure-free milestone.

Last edited:
Your doctor's report would have the greatest impact. Your doc might not feel comfortable giving the "all-clear" until you hit the 12 month seizure-free milestone.

I think that would be the ticket, because of my long history with seizures. The key is I would like to be ready physically & mentally ready before I try to enter the workforce. I just don't want to be thrown back in before then. When I am ready, I plan on going through the training program "Access" (Visid). I could possibly go through the EOC or college. Whatever way I go it would need to be some type of paid on the job training program.

As for what type of future work I would like to do, I haven't any clue. :(

I've done Restaurant, Clerical, Library, Retail, Grocery, etc. None of which I truly liked. My career preferences have changed a lot. I would probably need to take an in-depth aptitude test. But that is ways off for now.

Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do? How did you manage it?

Usually after having brain surgery, the docs like to see the patient seizure-free for two years before considering them "seizure-free". And even then it could be complicated, depending on which part of the brain is cut on. Sometimes speech/memory is greatly impaired. I had a left temporal lobectomy and was only seizure free for 14 months. They couldn't go in and do another surgery because the damaged area was deep in my hippocampus. If they did, I would have ended up like an Alzheimer's patient. I do have memory issues and aphasia (trouble finding the correct words) and suffered from depression since the surgery. But that's just me.

Have you seen a neuropsychologist and had any testing done to see what type of work you could qualify for?

wow. And some info you might find interesting;

Why is this important? Because stress responses trigger the release of cortisol from your adrenal glands, and when your cortisol levels are high over a long period of time, your adrenal glands start to get depleted. This raises prolactin levels, increasing the body’s sensitivity to pain, such as backaches and muscle aches. Excessive cortisol also hypersensitizes the brain to pain, such that even the slightest twinge can excite the nerves of the brain.

On the other hand, when the body is in relaxation response, cortisol levels drop and endorphins- the body's natural morphine- are released. Then voila- instant pain relief.

Usually after having brain surgery, the docs like to see the patient seizure-free for two years before considering them "seizure-free". And even then it could be complicated, depending on which part of the brain is cut on.

Is that two years on meds, or one on/one off?

Sometimes speech/memory is greatly impaired. I had a left temporal lobectomy and was only seizure free for 14 months. They couldn't go in and do another surgery because the damaged area was deep in my hippocampus. If they did, I would have ended up like an Alzheimer's patient. I do have memory issues and aphasia (trouble finding the correct words) and suffered from depression since the surgery. But that's just me.

My short-term memory isn't to good right now. :( I believe my surgery will be on the LTL. As for depression, I've been depressed for years. :(

Have you seen a neuropsychologist and had any testing done to see what type of work you could qualify for?

I may have when I had the WADA test done several years back. But that didn't involve any aptitude testing. I'll need to check that out.

Is that two years on meds, or one on/one off?

That is two years on meds, I believe.

My short-term memory isn't to good right now. :( I believe my surgery will be on the LTL. As for depression, I've been depressed for years. :(

The left temporal lobe does have a lot to do with memory and language, so depending on exactly where and how deep the damaged area is, it could further effect the memory.

I may have when I had the WADA test done several years back. But that didn't involve any aptitude testing. I'll need to check that out.
The WADA tests is done to see which side of the brain does control one's speech and memory the best. It puts one side of the brain to sleep at a time and is done in the presence of three docs in the hospital. It is different than an aptitude test done by a neuropsychologist.

That is two years on meds, I believe.

That sounds good to me.

The left temporal lobe does have a lot to do with memory and language, so depending on exactly where and how deep the damaged area is, it could further effect the memory.

From what I remember about my test results, my key functions are on the opposite side.
I just forgot if it's my LTL or RTL that the mesial temporal lesion is on.

The WADA tests is done to see which side of the brain does control one's speech and memory the best. It puts one side of the brain to sleep at a time and is done in the presence of three docs in the hospital. It is different than an aptitude test done by a neuropsychologist.

I know, I was referring to the doctor I seen in the office prior to the main part of the WADA test. Some of the test he had me do are similar to the free games I play at:
http://www.lumosity.com I've been doing it for at least three months. I've seen some improvement.

I will be trying to have these kinds of tests done on me now. I am curious because my brain damage is on the right side of the brain. The seizures stem out of the area inside the skull around the right ear. is that temporal lobe ? and thanks for posting the cool link.

Back
Top Bottom