Coping With Epilepsy Matthew's Friends
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 AM
New Here

Resection vs Laser Ablation

Iím going to have tests starting this Friday (an MRI and a video EEG) to look into doing a second surgery. I had a left temporal lobe resection in 1988 and the epileptologist I see at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (in Iowa City) is saying that she can see places that were missed in Ď88. The last MRI was done in 2003 though, so a new one will be done to see if itís still operable or if itís spread to areas that are unsafe to remove.

In Iowa City, the only option is a lobectomy/resection, but Mayo in Rochester MN is only 3 hours away and laser ablation is done there. Itís not as intrusive, but is it as effective? (The cuts were already made in 1988, so a lobectomy would be opening the same spots).

Note: Iíve been on several anti-epileptic drugs and have been doing the ketogenic diet for almost a year. I had 14 complex partial seizures throughout the last year. (None this year so far). Iím currently on keppra and my doctor is looking into getting me assistance for Vimpat. Fycompa is another consideration (with pharmaceutical assistance).

-Sandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,306 Times in 5,389 Posts
There are different individual factors that can make one type of surgery more appropriate than another, or more likely to be successful -- things like specificity of the focal area, the presence of scar tissue, etc. Laser Ablation is also a newer procedure, so there are fewer statistics on how successful it is over the long term. That said, one study (link below) at a single epilepsy center concludes that resection and stereotactic laser ablation (SLA) had similar seizure-free outcomes, but the SLA was the preferred technique because it had shorter lengths of stay.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29172137
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakamova For This Useful Post:
sandinmyears (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,306 Times in 5,389 Posts
You might also be interested in these threads:
https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...-friday-20061/
https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...ng-sink-20273/
https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...ly-last-22793/

They're by a CWE member whose seizures returned 11 years after her initial surgery. She decided to undergo a second re-sective surgery, with good results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakamova For This Useful Post:
sandinmyears (01-15-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,054 Posts
Hi Sandinmyears,

I had a Left Temporal Lobectomy in 1990 and was seizure-free for 18 months. My seizures came back with vengeance. But after more drugs and testing, I wasn't a candidate for another temporal lobectomy, especially on the LEFT side. It is where the memory is stored, the left hippocampus..... so I would really weight the consequences of another brain surgery (on the left side). I now have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator. It doesn't completely control my seizures, but I wish I had that done instead of having my head cut open!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cint For This Useful Post:
sandinmyears (03-05-2019)