Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 06:04 PM
New Here

Question Right temple lobe surgery

Hello,
I am new to this forum. A relative of mine was just operated on two weeks ago. She did well, right after the surgery she recognized us and doesn't seem to have any memory loss. Her eye is still a little swollen and she finds she can't watch tv or read because of it being blurry. I am wondering if anyone else went through this and if the vision improves with healing.
Thank you. Any information you can give us on your recovery will be helpful.
We are hoping she will never have a seizure again.
Irene
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,298 Times in 820 Posts
Hi Irene, welcome to the forum.

I hope her vision improves as she recovers from surgery.
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
Quote :
We are hoping s/he will never have a seizure again.
This is my wish for everyone with this disorder.

Welcome to CWE, I hope that you find the information you need to support your relative.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Ive had this sugery. It was just over ten years ago. I wouldnt change anything that Ive experined in my life time because, its all led me to where I am now. The surgery didnt work for me but, thats still not the end of the road because I was forced to keep searching untill I found what did work for me. If you learn everything you can about epilepsy you will be able to make the best choices concerning your epilepsy and how to control it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator / Grandpa

Welcome to our house Irene.

The great thing about this site is you can almost always find someone who has had a similar experience (referring to Mike's comment).

Sit down and have a cup of coffee. It sounds like you have had an emotional month.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Account Closed

Irene!

Welcome to CWE! Here's wishing a well recovery
from the neurosurgery! Feel free to browse around
and make yourself a home!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Originally Posted by imb1004 View Post:
Hello,
I am new to this forum. A relative of mine was just operated on two weeks ago. She did well, right after the surgery she recognized us and doesn't seem to have any memory loss. Her eye is still a little swollen and she finds she can't watch tv or read because of it being blurry. I am wondering if anyone else went through this and if the vision improves with healing.
Thank you. Any information you can give us on your recovery will be helpful.
We are hoping she will never have a seizure again.
Irene
Hi Irene,

I had a Cavernoma removed from my Right Temporal Lobe in Sept 2000, and I'm pleased to be able to say that I went for 5 years without even an aura let alone a seizure, I think my odds of a complete cure were 50/50, unfortunately, my seizures started again in July 2005, no one really seems to know why, there was no real trigger, no stress, I'd passed my driving test, got a new job, bought a lovely new house with my partner so it just didn't add up. After my surgery, I must say I didn't have any problems with my eyes, I was very badly swollen though and I was told to expect that, I just think we are all so very different, that it must be difficult for the doctors to predict the outcome of brain surgery.

I'm waiting to go back into hospital in London, to have my right Hippocampus removed, this is the part of the brain in the Temporal Lobe that looks after the production of new memories, emotions, an spatial awareness, that's why I can't read a map and have no sense of direction, according to my partner. I know the initial scar was caused by my being a forceps delivery, but I would love to know why I have sclerosis of the right Hippocampus.

I just think you have to try and learn as much as you can about your condition, I'm also studying it with Leeds University, the human brain has always fascinated me. I hope you relative makes a full recovery, and stays seizure free, all the best, and I hope you find this website as interesting and as helpful as I have.

Welcome to the house!

Cheers

Elaine xx

Last edited by Bernard; 04-12-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add whitespace between paragraphs
Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

I was faced with the decesion of having more surgery after my R.T.L surgery. The next most common Epilepsy Surgery is frontal Lobe surgery after the Temprol Lobe surgery if its unseccessfull. I desided to start Nerofeedback instead. In about six months I stopped seizing for five years untill, heart problems and a heart attack through me into statis epileptsis. I started Nerofeedback again and am happy to say that Im 646 days free today.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Originally Posted by Elaine Howell View Post:
Hi Irene,

I had a Cavernoma removed from my Right Temporal Lobe in Sept 2000, and I'm pleased to be able to say that I went for 5 years without even an aura let alone a seizure, I think my odds of a complete cure were 50/50, unfortunately, my seizures started again in July 2005, no one really seems to know why, there was no real trigger, no stress, I'd passed my driving test, got a new job, bought a lovely new house with my partner so it just didn't add up. After my surgery, I must say I didn't have any problems with my eyes, I was very badly swollen though and I was told to expect that, I just think we are all so very different, that it must be difficult for the doctors to predict the outcome of brain surgery.

I'm waiting to go back into hospital in London, to have my right Hippocampus removed, this is the part of the brain in the Temporal Lobe that looks after the production of new memories, emotions, an spatial awareness, that's why I can't read a map and have no sense of direction, according to my partner. I know the initial scar was caused by my being a forceps delivery, but I would love to know why I have sclerosis of the right Hippocampus.

I just think you have to try and learn as much as you can about your condition, I'm also studying it with Leeds University, the human brain has always fascinated me. I hope you relative makes a full recovery, and stays seizure free, all the best, and I hope you find this website as interesting and as helpful as I have.

Welcome to the house!

Cheers

Elaine xx
That's extremely interesting. I DO drive. I have to have something with me that gives me navigational directions 'cause I have absolutely no sense of direction whatsoever. However, I scored really high on spatial reasoning tests and succeeded in obtaining a math degree and another computer science degree. I should not be logical since damage was in the left hemisphere, but they think other areas of the brain 'took over' during my recovery. I was 18 months old when I acquired epilepsy.

I didn't actually have surgery, but my forehead hit a windshield and I had plastic surgery. My eyes were swollen for a while. I recovered from swollen eyes within one month of the accident. I wasn't driving in this accident, by the way.
My college roommate's car was totaled.

Last edited by alivenwell; 04-12-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added plastic surgery paragraph
Closed Thread