Surgery - employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm 90% sure I'll be going g ahead with surgery, I'm to see the surgeon to carry it out the procedure on October.

I work in a factory/assembly line type of environment with plenty of machinery around.
I'm questioning if, after I've had the surgery done whether it'll be a type of job I'll be able to carry on with.
I've worked at my current employers since I left school, so 'walking' straight into another job won't be possible.

I'm hoping I'll be able to carry on as I was, but that may not be realistic.
It's probably a difficult thing for people the answer unless they've actually seen the type of jobs I do, but what are people's opinions on what I should do?
It's a large organisation, so reasonable adjustments can be made, and (hopefully) cater for my needs. I'm from the UK.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada so cannot answer to problems that may arise that are specific to the UK, however a first thought that comes to mind is: were you able to get a reasonable time off work for the surgery and recovery?
Also, ask your doctor to specify exactly the "route" he will be taking to get to the focal point of your seizures; ie. what likely will you notice after surgery and will these be temporary or permanent.
And finally, only your post-surgery experience will really let you know if you will be able to carry on with your current job.

I'm questioning if, after I've had the surgery done whether it'll be a type of job I'll be able to carry on with.

It depends on the type of seizures you have and what type of surgery you'll have for this. Have you had all the necessary testing done in order to go ahead with the surgery?
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/surgery/pre-surgery-tests

After all the testing (the WADA test does require hospitalization), then the neurosurgery team can decide if this is the right path for you. But it isn't always 100% cure-all. For me, it was disastrous! I ended up coming out having more seizures than when I went in. But that was years ago, so it has improved since then.

Itr said:
I'm hoping I'll be able to carry on as I was, but that may not be realistic........
but what are people's opinions on what I should do?

Go with your gut instinct. Make sure you ask ALL questions that come to your mind. Check out all options before you have any surgery! Once it's done, there is NO going back.

Check these out, too:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/surgery/outlook-after-surgery

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/surgery/life-after-surgery

Itr786, push forward with strong desire and hope. While I do not do everything I used to before surgeries, I do have the strong desire to push forward getting as close to where I was. I hope things for you go "great"!

I'm in the UK, and I know that the law dictates that reasonable adjustments should be made when situations like these arise. youve just got to communicate to your employer, if things are bad is there another role within the business that could be suitable for you? Such as some admin duties?

Hi Itr786,

I felt really tired for a couple of months after my surgery and I did have seizures but I knew that the surgery I had would only reduce my seizures and not stop them.
Personally I don't see why you can't continue working the same job position if you want to. I was on my feet 7 hrs. a day 3 wks. after my surgery but I did have a note from my Dr. stating I had the surgery so my employer couldn't give me a hard time. I say go for it and don't let anyone or anything stop you. Good Luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom