For those who did or are going to have brain surgery...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
if you did... did you write a will?
if you're going to... are you writing one or thinking you should?

i finally bought a will kit yesterday and started going through it. hooooly shit. it's gonna be tough, but i'm going ahead with it, just. in. case.

pls send your thoughts and what you did, thanks :)

I just became a member, my name is . I had the brain surgery on 6/22/05. If you have any questions send them to me.

i finally bought a will kit yesterday and started going through it. hooooly shit. it's gonna be tough, but i'm going ahead with it, just. in. case.

I was in my 20s when I had surgery so no the last thing I thought about was a will. I was more concerned about the nurse only shaving half of my head. If for some reason if it is decided that I'm a candidate again yes I would write a will Just because I'm almost 30 years older and I have 2 kids that I did not have then.

I didn't for my first one... being in my 20's, I'm not sure the thought crossed my mind, to be honest. But now as I face another surgery, a little older, and questionably wiser... haha, I'm thinking about it. A friend of mine asked me if I had one the other day... I might pick up a kit too. Hugs.

That's a good question Q,
I never even thought about a will when I was going in for my surgery.

I was more concerned about the nurse only shaving half of my head.
LOL PITA,
So when you had the surgery did you only get 1/2 you hair shave of or did you get it all shaved of?

When I had my surgery they shave near my hair line & I had longish hair (prob to my shoulders) so it was pretty easy to hide my scarring with my hair.
My friend who also had the same surgery (left temporal lobe) had short hair so half her hair was shaved of for the surgery. She ended up getting the rest of her hair shaved of.

LOL PITA,
So when you had the surgery did you only get 1/2 you hair shave of or did you get it all shaved of?

When I had my surgery they shave near my hair line & I had longish hair (prob to my shoulders) so it was pretty easy to hide my scarring with my hair.
My friend who also had the same surgery (left temporal lobe) had short hair so half her hair was shaved of for the surgery. She ended up getting the rest of her hair shaved of.
When they were prepping me for surgery the nurse came in and only shaved he right side of my head. I looked at her and begged her to please shave my whole head. She did then when i left the hosptial I got it all back in an envelope.

When they were prepping me for surgery the nurse came in and only shaved he right side of my head. I looked at her and begged her to please shave my whole head. She did then when i left the hosptial I got it all back in an envelope.
That's funny how they gave you your hair back in the envelope.
Did they think you would keep it as a keepsake or that you would use it to make a wig :pfft:

Yes believe it or not the law would not let them throw it away in case I didn't make it through surgery my family could have a wig made. Now they probably donate it to charities

I had my left temporal lobectomy back in 1990. At that time I was 33 years old, was married and had two young children, so yes I did write a will before I had brain surgery, just in case something happened, knowing my kids would be taken care of. They told me all the things that could happen, plus I had met a man in his early 30's who'd had a stroke during the surgery. IMO, anyone going under the knife for any reason should have a will, just in case. None of us are invincible, not even doctors.

thanks guys. yeah cint me too, i'm writing one just in case. started reading through the kit earlier and my eyes started to cross. omg this is going to be exhausting. but, going into the surgery knowing it's in place will be one thing (out of a million right), off my mind. at least this is one thing i can do on my own.

Back
Top Bottom