Trying not to get my hopes up...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone it's been awhile! Things have gotten crazy lately so how's an update sound?!

So I had my first vns placed in 2010 things had been going well, the next year I was able to start classes for nursing but that brought on stress which made seizures happen so I had to quit. Things went back to normal, but I wasn't completely seizure free. So here I was at the doctor June of this year, they say the battery of the vns has died & it's time to replace it, fast. My family & I can definitely start to tell it stopped working, my seizures were getting worse, I had one where I couldn't talk at all, even for an hour after my dad says. I was just off in wonderland & I don't remember anything! So 2-3 weeks later I had the surgery to get it replaced. I've been going back to the doctors office each month to update the vns. And now here we are, seizures are still the same, not controlled, I'll have atleast 3-4 each month before I go back to the doctor. So at the appt the other day they say they don't like that my medicine or vns isn't doing anything for me. It's time to see if I'm a candidate for brain surgery...temporal lobectomy. My mom & I were just shocked. Just something we weren't expecting to hear! So I've been doing some research & watching videos on YouTube & such. And this just happened Wednesday. I'm just in the beginning of the process so I still have to go through both phases. I'm kinda nervous. Afraid of getting my hopes up. Supposed to get a call today to schedule the video eeg this month but that didn't happen. Any advice? Books to read? Etc? Sorry about the rant!

Hello welcome to cwe.

I know what you mean about tnot getting your hopes up.I had RTL in 1982 didn't work for me, and my dh had one in 1972 hasn't had a seizure since he couldn't go off his meds because they controlled his auras.I've had the VNS in 2001 been on a lot of meds.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I really am trying not to get my hopes up for a couple reasons. I'm afraid of it not working & afraid I won't be a candidate :( I hate saying that because I don't want to jinx it either!

Back
Top Bottom