WADA Test/ Superior Neuropsych results

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Just had a meeting with my neuro to discuss the future of my epilepsy. She said that the results of my neuropsych tests were so superior in some categories that they are actually afraid of doing surgery on me. I am not trying to brag, but they had never seen anyone who cognitive and vocabulary results were as high as mine. She wants to do the WADA test to see what side of my brain controls all that awesomeness. I am left handed, so she is not sure what side of the brain is dominant. Has anyone else had these results and can anyone shine some light on the WADA test? My seizures come from the left temporal lobe, so we hope that is not the dominant side.

After the WADA they want to do the intercranial sensors to pin point what part of my brain to work on. Any insight on this procedure?

I am all about doing the cool tests for science, but I may be a little cavalier with these decisions, so I am trying to get more practical information, and not just what the nice doctors tell me. Thanks everyone, this forum has really been enlightening to me!

Hi Judeola2013
I was in a similar situation, I'm an engineer and had some very nervous docs due to my skill set. I tried to document my journey here:

danepilepsy[dot]weebly[dot]com

Had to remove the .'s due to posting restrictions.

God bless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a left temporal lobectomy way back in 1990, but before the surgery, I did have the WADA test done, too. They basically put the brain to sleep, one side at a time, to test one's speech and memory. They inject you with a dye thru a catheter in your leg. Then you need to lie still thru the whole test. It feels so strange when they ask questions and all of a sudden you can't speak. That only lasts a moment, but it is weird. Here is more info:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/surgery/pre-surgery-tests/wada-test

I also had the brain mapping done. The surgeon opens the head and places electrodes on the surface of the brain. Then the surgeon closes it and your under observation and taken off meds so they can observe your seizures and brain waves, therefore telling them where to perform the surgery.

Here is more info:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/surgery/pre-surgery-tests/brain-mapping

I used to work in the airline industry and was married to a pilot, but that all came to an end after my failed brain surgery. It also lead to memory loss, depression and lots of other problems. I was only seizure free for 14 months. So think long and hard before going under the knife. Of course, much has improved since 1990, but still, it is something that cannot be reversed.

Back
Top Bottom