Wada test yesterday.... Anyone have one of these?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just had a Wada test performed.. it was crazy. I have left temporal seizures and exploring surgery. I was fine when they put the the right side out (leaving the left cognitive) answering questions and performing verbal and memory questions normal.... But when they put the left out it was completely different. I did not remember anything and was incoherent for 15 minutes.... Has anyone else had results like this? And if so, have you gone on to surgery? Because dr (just the neuropsychologist) says left temporal lobectomy could negatively effect memory.

Thanks everyone!

I had a WADA test years ago right before I had a right temporal lobectomy. I remember going through all the verbal and memory questions. I have to be truthful with you it was over 20 years ago and I don't remember alot about the test. I do know I did'nt have a lot of memory issues after sergury. The biggest issue I had was I was a music major in college and after sergury I could'nt match pitch when I sang. That in time came back in time. The only memory porblems Ihave now are short term memory issues.

The WADA test was one of the strangest test I've ever had! When they put my left side to sleep I was able to answer most questions but when they put my right to sleep I couldn't remember anything they had ask me before, it made me feel crazy because I knew that I should know the answer but could not answer them, I just looked at them like they were crazy! lol! they showed me pictures of objects some I could answer others I could not. I was so happy when that test was over, but it was very interesting.

I went to UVA a teaching hospital so I had an audiance of college kids watching the neuro surgeon and neurologist behind a large glass wall. I guess they wanted to be neurologist or neuro surgeons :). I too have some short term memeory problems and it worries me a little that it will get worse. I think my chronic migraines add to my short term memory problem too.

When I had the WADA test done, they put my left side to sleep, and started asking the questions, every question had made me want to answer "No!"

I had a WADA test done recently. It was pretty bizarre! I think I was able to remember most of what happened, but could give a more detailed description about what went on while my left side was "out." I would have been able to talk more when the left side was "out," but for some reason, I couldn't stop laughing. We were all a little perplexed over what brought that on.

ETA: I have surgery scheduled in late September. I've been warned about the effects it could have on my memory. That is a huge concern. It's really upsetting...like...one of the biggest problems you're hoping to "fix" might only get worse. On the other hand, I've met several people who have had the surgery. They were all brilliant. They said they had some trouble with short-term memory and being able to find words, but it all gradually got better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom